We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nvidia update problem!!

Housten

Likes # 0

Dear Sirs,

I am hoping somebody will have the knowledge to help me with an Nvidia problem.

I was informed yesterday that not only had Nvidia discovered a serious problem with their software but that they had a solution for it,and I should immediately download the file and install it on my computer. As I have an ‘Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT’ graphics card with 256 MB on board ram, with – according to the ‘Nvidia Control Panel’ in my computer’s Control Panel – ‘Driver Version 270.61’ I thought I should do so promptly. But when I tried to update – as I thought my driver – the Nvidia file couldn’t find the previous Nvidia on my computer!!! I just feel that I have done something wrong or that Nvidia have let themselves down by writing a bad bit of software.

Just to let you know what I have done after I download the file – 169 MB!!!! – I got it to run straight away. It installed itself – I think – in the folder which it decided upon and it installed the files. Then it said ‘checking system compatibility’ and then said I didn’t have any Nvidia products on the computer by showing a graphic which had the heading ‘System Check’ and alongside it ‘Nvidia Installer cannot continue’, another heading of ‘License Agreement’ and alongside that ‘The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware’!!

So I then downloaded the file and saved it. Then, today, I went through my hard drive and thought I had found two alternative folders, and tried running the file again. But I got the same result again!

The fact that I appear to have an Nvidia driver on my computer but that Nvidia are so bad at writing updates that their software can not find it, itself is very troubling. There may well be a way of determining the folder that ‘Nvidia Control Panel’ is in from the details listed in their ‘Nvidia Control Panel’, but I can not see how to get at this information, which may be the only way I have of finding out where to install the update.

Any comments/information/advice you could give me would be very gratefully received.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have read your posts but not absolutely sure what your problem is. Is it that you need/want to update the drivers, or roll back the drivers from a recent update?

You can use Nvidia control panel to check for updates,you will find this under Help.

I personally do not use the auto scan facility as it is easy to find the necessary driver myself or the latest NCP automatically informs me that an update is available.

So if you could clarify your problem I will have a look.

Chronos the 2nd

Like this post

Likes # 0

OK, this is getting weirder!!!

I went to my 'Control Panel, got it on the screen, and clicked on 'NVIDIA Control Panel', which then appeared. After having a good look round I found 'Updates' under the 'Help' button. I looked at 'About NVIDIA Control Panel' and it stated that it is 'Version 3.6.750.0' and 'copyright 2002 - 2013'!!! This I find really weird, because where - and for that matter when - the 'NVIDIA Control Panel' was updated ( which I am presuming due to '2013' appearing in it ) I do not know. As far as I am aware NO programmes are set to update automatically.

Even weirder is the fact that when I clicked on 'Updates' there was a few seconds delay nd then a box appeared labelled 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library'' Within the box the next thing was a red circle with a whiteb cross inside it and 'This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in am unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information'. What this means I have not got a clue. I can understand the words but I do not understand which 'support team' I am supposed to contct - is it Microsoft, NVIDIA or Runtime?? - or how or where.

As my screen is OK I think that the simplest, easiest but not necessarily the best thing to do is that I will ignore the whole thing, and shove my head up my ar*e!!!!

Heigh! HO!!! Isn't life a real bundle of ????????? at times!

Housten

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you click on Nvidia Control Panel/Help About you will see your version. mine says 6.9.850.0 Copyright 2002-2013 So I would suggest that you have quite an old version. But if you do not game and all is well I would just leave it as is.

Chronos the 2nd.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd.

Well nice to have someone agreeing with me!! My 'problem' was that it seemed to me that if a website that I trust tells me there is a problem that can occur within a programme and downloading an update will not only get rid of it but also increase the efficiency/working of the programme it is something that should be seriously considered!!

I think our last posts, essentially, crossed and as I can see from your version number my driver version is not so much old as ancient!!! But as I inferred in my last post NVIDIA do not appear to want or allow me to update. I do not know what I have done to upset them - apart from saying that their software is rubbish; a criticsm that I think is justified - and I only hope that there are not more people out there with the same problem as I am having. All I do know is that if I get another computer - or update this one - then NVIDIA will be included out of any specification that I turn to. Seriously I think they are truly awful and they should be taken to task for causing all these problems, they are not worth the effort. Then again it could always be something I have done or do to my computer, but as I am not aware of it I rate this an unlikely prospect.

Housten

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I went from an AMD HD 6870 to a Nvidia GTX 670 for my last build late-ish last year and must admit it has been problem free and I have been an AMD man for most of my PC gaming life. It could be that it is actually the control panel that is causing update problems.

Should you want to then you could download the latest drivers Nvidia. Remove the old drivers including Nvidia Control Panel then install the new ones.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Housten, I think you are confusing the Nvidia Control Panel version ( 6.9.850.0) with your card's driver version. If everything is working OK then I'd leave alone. If you're not really happy then go to programs and features and uninstall all Nvidia in the list leaving the driver last. Reboot and go here again and select Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products.

That should now download the new control panel as well as the card's updated driver. Note when installing select 'custom' install as you won't need the 3D set-up.

rdave13

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is a "Check for Updates" on the HELP tab in Nvidia CP.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Housten - Sorry, I appear to have just posted something that you are already aware of. With regards to Then again it could always be something I have done or do to my computer, but as I am not aware of it I rate this an unlikely prospect.

I personally think it is something more likely to do with your computer (not something you have done personally to it) than the update itself and as for saying NVIDIA do not appear to want or allow me to update. Your Graphics Card is just a component of your computer - Nvidia updates doesn't know you personally. I have never used anything else but Nvidia without any problems over many years in different computers with different operating systems.

I would either leave things as they are if things are working okay or follow rdave13's advice - uninstall and reinstall.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

rdave13 and northumbria61,

Good evening, Gentlemen,

As I said in am earlier post I am inclined to leave everything as is, as everything seems to be working satisfactorily!!!

However...................I would, therefore, crave your indulgence and ask you if you think it worthwhile my doing what rdave13 suggested. But, how can I tell what is the driver and what isn't? AND what would happen when all the Nvidia software has been deleted, I suppose if I don't re-boot the computer, it should continue to work acceptably? Also I have already downloaded version 310.90, and saved it on my computer, so would it be OK after the deletion just to run that rather than have to download the file for a third time?

OR................ as I suggested instead of doing all of that, just leave everything as it stands.

Also, may I say northumbria61, that I know that Nvidia do not know or care about me, it is just that there are times when you feel everything is going against you, you feel like blaming someone/something!!!!

Many thanks in anticipation of your comments and help.

Housten

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

After you remove the old drivers and control panel you should restart your PC. I will warn you that when your PC has restarted everything will be very big on screen but this is usual and not a problem Windows is just using basic drivers so that the monitor will work. Just go to where you have stored the downloaded Nvidia driver and install and hopefully all will be A OK.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback