We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Message - counterfeit XP

Storic12

Likes # 0

Some two or three years ago, I bought three copies of XP Professional, each with license key. Each was put on a member of family's computer. These have run without problems since installing them. My son has just phoned to say that on boot up today, he is now getting a message from Microsoft to say that he is using a conterfeit copy of windows, that a company has reported as stolen. Apparently, he has been informed that the only way to rectify this, is to buy a geniune copy of Windows 8 at a price of around £175. This seems to be some kind of scam, especially as his virus protection has now been removed. Is this a scam?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If the message is by email then yes its a scam - ignore it.

If its a message at boot up and its stopping the machine from running then perhaps he needs to phone MS and reactivate.

Sometime Windows Genuine Ad goes wrong my new Medion was once reported as non genuine but was easily sorted.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Windows 8 sells for about £50 not £175 anyway, are they pointing him to a site to buy this "Genuine Windows 8"?

Like this post
Storic12

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/. The same thing happened to me with XP professional some 18 months ago, and yes I had to reactivate it. Trouble is I'm some 35 miles away and am trying to relay everything by phone. Will suggest he phones Microft helpline as there is no way of reactivation on the message page he is getting. Thanks again. :-)

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

XP pro I have had this before just phone them and enter your license key it is all automated so easy to do. The screen message should give you the phone number.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Storic if you both install Teamviewer on respective PCs, you can give direct help. I use it often to help a particular friend who lives over 200miles away.

download Teamviewer Free

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS, while I am working on my friends' PC using Teamviewer, we are in voice contact using Skype.

Like this post
Storic12

Likes # 0

Thanks to all for your replies. :-)

Update: The help line I phoned was hopeless, never mind helpless. They have only pointed me to 0844-800-2400 (Tech help) at 5p a minute, Monday to Fridays. My son is adament that that the website he is pointed to is "www.microsoft.com" and that he will be charged £150.00 for Windows 8 as a replacement for his "counterfeit copy of Windows XP professional". Re-installing from the CD he has, only results in a screen coming up that denounces his O/S not only as "counterfeit", but also as "stolen". I should reiterate that he has been using this without problems for three years. Neither Skype, or Teamviewer is installed on either machine. Any ideas would be gratefully received. :-)

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Is thi link > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cuscprodact_master any help?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

For phone activation, Google came up with these numbers:

Automated activation in UK

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Broken link : copy and paste from http to _master

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...