We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to rename or move files stored on an EX.HD?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I recently connected the HD from my Freeview box to my laptop and copied and pasted all the TV programmes to my external HD.

When I view them to see what particular programmes they are I try to move them (Copy and paste and cut and paste) or renmae them and the action seems to freeze. I can leave it pasting for up to half and hour and there is no progress. When I try to rename the file, the computer freezes.

Please can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do to stop it? I just want to identify which videi files are which?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I would imagine that Windows is having trouble with the file format that your TV/PVR records in.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Your lucky - I had a PVR fail on me and Winows would not even see the drive never mind the files on them - had to get some special software to read the drive and some more to convert the files when I could see them.

Make and model of PVR?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Could they be protected with Digital Rights software?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AFAIK Freeview box encrypts them with it's own type into a container (bundles the film with the program info and menu listings you see on the screen when you want to watch a recorded program). When you copy them through the freeview box to an ext harddrive or usb flashdrive, freeview unencrypts them (splits the container into separate files, one of which is the actual film). See your manual for more details and what is possible as it depends on the make and model of your freeview pvr.

That is only a guess for Freeview box as that how it works on my Humax foxsat.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you all!! Yes, on my EX HD they do read as one mail file which is .mpeg and a little small associayed file that is always 744kb and is a 'DVD movie info'.

The box is a Dion 'Trove' 'DVB (Digital video broadcasting', if that helps?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Nah, too vague. Have you had a look in the manual? took me a while to get the hang of copying films from my Humax :)

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ok, but what other options are actually available? I can view them but just not remame or move them?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

aHA!! I've just found out that 90% of the files can be rename and moved. I just happened to be trying the 10%

Sorry all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite