We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why can i not connect to the internet when i move my router to another phone socket?

graemep

Likes # 0

I have a Thomson ST585v6sl router connected in my flat. It works fine wirelessly, and connects to the internet no problem. When I unplug the router from it's current phone socket to another one in another room I lose the internet connection. My laptop / iPhone still picks up the WiFi signal but i get the router's error message on the screen, saying it cannot connect to the internet. I've tried this in 2 different phone sockets and get the same result. No telephones are connected anywhere in the flat. All the other sockets are empty. The only thing ever connected is the router, but it only allows internet access from 1 of the 4 phone sockets in the flat. The working socket has the BT logo on it, while the others don't. There is only one socket, so it's using an ADSL filter. I cant test the other sockets for phone signals as I don't have a phone. It's a fairly new build, circa 2007. Any ideas?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Most likely the other sockets are not connected to the phone line.

Also, are you sure that the one socket that works is actually connected to the phone line - it could be that your wifi connection is working off a nearby neighbours' broadband!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The phone socket with the BT logo will (prob) be your master socket. The others will be internal extensions. Did you use the ADSL filter in the ext and then plug the router into it? (that is what you should have done).

It is possible that the internal extensions are faulty and don't work. If you haven't been able to test them for a signal with a phone, then there is no way of knowing.

Like this post
graemep

Likes # 0

@Nontek The socket is definitely connected to the broadband, and I'm not working of a neighbour's broadband (when I switch off my router I lose the signal).

@lotvic While it's true the sockets couldbe faulty it's unlikely that all 3 would be in a flat barely 5 years old.

I appreciate your suggestions though :)

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

"Unlikely that all three sockets would be faulty". It does not necessarily follow if the wiring is duff.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Sorry if this is too simple, but to you have a filter on the other socket?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Borrow a phone and test them. I can't imagine why you don't have a phone when you are paying line rental and BB fees to your ISP.

And, as has been mentioned twice before, don't forget the filter.

Like this post
graemep

Likes # 0

Yes, I'm using the filter. I'm literally taking the entire set up from one socket to another and losing the internet connection. :S

Like this post
The Old Mod

Likes # 0

It could be as my phone sockets are, that the master socket is of the modern type and has a filter built in and that is the only socket that can be used for broadband, the slaves will be connected to the phone line only. My master is not near my PC so I've had to run a cable to it. I expect this is the system that you have got.

Hope this helps.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks