We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First Time Build, Need Help

mrhello123

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm a brand new PC builder and have come from laptops so I have never even opened a PC. I have lots of videos on how to build them and to be honest it just seems to be slotting things into labeled places. The best video I have watched is Jackfrags video on how to build your own steam box, he showed you how to build it in detail. I am going to be using my pc for some gaming, although nothing like BF3. I have an xbox that I play that on so there is no need for GTX 680's and 6 core i7's. Although I would like to be able to games like Day Z and Farming at 1080p with at least 30fps as that is what I am used to from my xbox. Although anything higher is a bonus. I was going to get it off Ginger6 but it was around £55 more than to buy everything from scan.co.uk as parts. Scan also has a better graphics card for around £10 less. Below are the parts that I am going to buy.

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 micro-ATX CPU: Intel Core i5 3350p 3.1GHz quad core Ivy Bridge Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M LX Intel B75 Socket 115 (this is the thing that I am most worried about as I am not sure if it will fit in my case.) GPU: XFX DD Core Edition Radeon HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 PSU: Storm Silent LPJ19-25 500W HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200rpm 16mb cache DVD drive: 24x DVDRW from Liteon RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB 1333MHz for an extra £13 I can get £8GB) Wi-Fi: Dynamode WL-700-11NX 300Mbps If anybody has spotted any problems please can you let me know. Also if anybody knows anywhere to get very cheap 1080p monitor, I have found one for £86 with DVI-I (this is the connector that I need). Also if anybody knows where to get a very cheap wireless keyboard that would be much appreciated, I live in the UK by the way.

Thanks for any replies

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Your MoBo selection will fit in case . Is there a particular reason for choosing micro atx form factor ? you could go for http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-elite-344-black-midi-tower-case-usb-30-w-o-psu , as a case and http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-p8z77-v-lx-intel-z77-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-dvi-d-hdmi-d-sub-atx-us as a MoBo . more expensive I know , but a MUCH better board , with more options , especially when you come to upgrade .

Like this post
mrhello123

Likes # 0

thanks for the case will look more into tomorrow but it does look better the motherboard is to expensive the reason that i am using the motherboard that i listed is that i got told it is good for the price. will everything fit in the case then

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

may be a bit tight with the original case , but the other case I suggested will be fine . as a point of interest , what is your budget for this build ? Scan do some pretty good prebuilt systems . I can vouch for the quality , I have a system built by them .

Like this post
mrhello123

Likes # 0

around £450 max £500 i already have a copy of windows 7 and office 2012, but no monitor or wireless keyboard

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=1271 try this . you can drop the OS , and put a gtx 650sc in > Also comes with 8Gb of vengeance Ram at 1600 , not the slower 1333 , all built and ready to go !

Like this post
mrhello123

Likes # 0

Thanks but it was still more expensive, plus I have just found out that one of my mate's dad is a PC builder so I don't need to worry about making a mistake

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen