We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Periodic popups and redirects in firefox

spras

Likes # 0

I am periodically getting popups in both Firefox and Chrome. In Firefox something blocks the popup itself (probably Adblocker) so all I get is a little 'x' in order to get rid of it, which saves me from the worst of it but is becoming very annoying. Additionally, sometimes when I click on a link I get redirected to some website or another trying to sell some terrible product (typical advertising website). Neither of these things happens every time, but occurs periodically. I have done multiple scans with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes to no avail. They turn up clean, but there is definitely something there that I cannot seem to get rid of.

Has anyone come across this issue before, or know what it's called? I can't even effectively google search becuase it's so vague.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Have you suddenly found that you have a toolbar/search engine that you didn't install? Or has your Home Page been hijacked, these are all symptoms that you have fallen victim to a trojan.

Like this post
spras

Likes # 0

Nope, neither of those things are the issue. I do of course suspect a Trojan, but then I've never had one that was so difficult to pick up with various anti-virus/anti-spyware scanners! It's just the periodic pop-ups and redirects.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at your plugins/extensions in your browsers to see if anything unknown there. Might have been downloaded with another program. Also check it's only your home page listed in settings. Finally check programs and features for an unknown program.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...