We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

system restore not working

march

Likes # 0

Hi can anyone help please? running vista, pc seems to be working fine but found but avg found a virus so I thought a system restore would help to remove it so, have been trying to do system restore, get this message after , system restore did not complete successfully an unspecified error occurred during system restore

avg has in virus vault this

IDP. trogan. CA237098 SEVERITY HIGH IDENTITY PROTECTION 10/01/2113

infected -c:\windows\system32\rundell32.exe - file or directory deleted- c:\windows\system32\rundell32.exe - process deleted moved to virus vault- c:\windows\system32\rundell32.exe - file or directory
healed –hkeylocalmachine_\software\microsoft -registry key

could someone point me in right direction to get system restore working please and tell me why it isn’t at moment, is it something to do with avg and virus?

would I be able to just delete the virus in avg? then Can I turn system restore off then take a new restore point if I do delete the virus?

thank you for any help march

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I would go for your last option - if AVG can shift the virus, no need to do a system restore.

Like this post
march

Likes # 0

thank you for response onthelimit1, please bear with me not sure how these things work, do i just select the item in avg and then delete? Am bit worried as it says its a system file?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

c:\windows\system32\rundell32.exe is a system file and will need to be replaced with a GOOD copy

It will be doing no harm in the vault, you can delete it if you wish.

Type sfc /scannow in the search box Press Enter and let windows find and replace missing or corrupt windows files. This will repair you operating system.

System restore is probably failing due to a corrupt restore point. Switch off system restore to delete all restore points reboot and switch it back on again and it will create a new restore point.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Trojans are not virus's they carry payloads that do damage. That's where it gets its Name, Trojan Horse had solders inside it

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Could it have been a false positive from AVG.Maybe restore it and run malwarebytes to see if that finds any problems.

You could try system restore in safe mode.

Like this post
march

Likes # 0

thanks woodchip for telling me its not a virus, I've learnt a bit more thanks to you,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ have done what you said with sfc, its completed but not said its replaced or repaired anything, would it have just done repaired/replaced automatically? if so I will delete the trojan from avg then do a system restore next.

Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It won't always says its replaced nything especially if replacing from a pre-installed hard drive, otherwise it will ask for theDVd to locate the file from.

You do not need to do a system restore!

Just switch it off and back onagin to get rid of any corrupt restore points. Sometimes a virus is copied into a restore point (especially in ain a system file - restoring would just bring the virus back again now AVg has moved it to the vault.

Delete it from the vault and forget about it.

If worried let AVG do another scan to check everything is OK.

Like this post
march

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Have deleted fron avg, done a check with avg, malwarebytes and dr web, nothing found, have now got rid of old restore points and done new restore point.

the pc seems to be working faster than before dont know if that because trojan has gone or me imagining it?

thank you very much for your time and help, big thanks to everyone who posted

regards march

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The PC is working faster - that could be a result of the sfc repair to the opsystem. Glad everything is Ok.

Please tick in the right hand column to close the thread.

Like this post
march

Likes # 0

have resolved this and tried clicking on tick in right hand column to no avail.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014