We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

malaware has locked my computer. what can I do ?

bigdavey

Likes # 0

My computer won't boot up I get a screen saying I have done all sorts of illegal stuff and I have to pay a fine, I have tried holding f8 and gone into the reboot in safe mode, but this virus has hijacked the safe boot as well so it kicks back into normal startup halfway through the safe boot!!

I am totally stuck for ideas, i don't have restore disks, I am running XP. If there is a way to wipe the system back to factory settings or if I can download some boot disk or usb boot drive that would help I don't care if i lose data.

thanks guys

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Like this post
bigdavey

Likes # 0

I did the hitman usb kickstart and unfortunately that hasn't fixed it either. I shall try looking for an update for thekaspersky boot disk!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I shall try looking for an update for thekaspersky boot disk!"

I posted a couple of links for you in my second post so go back and have a look. The first link is for updating - you can scroll down to step #4 as that's usually all that's required to update Kaspersky.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

press F10 on bootup many makers use this to get factory settings back.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you''ve got eRecovery this may work

Turn the system on | Immediately, press ALT on the keyboard and start tapping F10.| Continue holding ALT and tapping F10 as the unit boots up.| A screen stating "Starting Acer Erecovery" should appear. | (Release ALT and stop tapping F10 at this point) | There will be 4 options: 1. Restore system to factory default 2. Restore system from user backup 3. Restore system from cd/dvd 4. Exit

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

report it to your local police station. I don't know if you can do reinstall or wipe the disc with Acronis using these new operating systems. Normally i would clone the disc and problems arising re-clone the original disc.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

do what fruitbat has suggested 1st

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

I had similar problem. I have now sorted problem up and running again. Used system repair disc to get into advanced system recovery. System repair did nothing. However command prompt Bootrec.exe/RebuildBcd did repair MBR. Then did a command prompt DISKPART>LIST DRIVES followed by DISKPART>LIST DISK selected repair option which brought up Acer Recovery system. Chose save files documents and pictures and reinstall manufactures OS system build which restored OS to that of out of box new build. Had to do lengthy windows update. Many Programs have been lost and spent a couple of hours reloading them.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4196441/unable-to-start-computer/?ob=datea&pn=1#ixzz2HyCaE1OX

Like this post
bigdavey

Likes # 0

Thanks I found that acer pcs have a restore to factory setting, alt f10 at startup, excellent.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?