We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

back up hard drive corrupted and unreadable

dickie1234

Likes # 0

i have a pc running xp pro which had two 160gb hard drives on it one as master (c) and one as slave (f) For a week or so windows was displaying a blue screen warning message everyday on boot up "one of your drives needs to be checked for consistency" this was the c drive so finally i let it do its check and it took around two hours and gave errors about orphaned files and failed security licenses or some bumf which made the drive inaccessible afterwards so i had to format it and reinstall windows. So in the meantime and before the check I transferred all of my important files onto the f drive. Now comes the problem. I reinstalled windows onto drive c but when i reconnected the back up drive which was working fine as slave before the check, windows is now saying the drive is corrupt and unreadable. I know that there are 156gb of files on there that cannot be replaced has anyone got any ideas how to get them off as i don't want to format the drive and lose everything on there and cant see how this drive has been affected by checking the other one

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance