We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

back up hard drive corrupted and unreadable

dickie1234

Likes # 0

i have a pc running xp pro which had two 160gb hard drives on it one as master (c) and one as slave (f) For a week or so windows was displaying a blue screen warning message everyday on boot up "one of your drives needs to be checked for consistency" this was the c drive so finally i let it do its check and it took around two hours and gave errors about orphaned files and failed security licenses or some bumf which made the drive inaccessible afterwards so i had to format it and reinstall windows. So in the meantime and before the check I transferred all of my important files onto the f drive. Now comes the problem. I reinstalled windows onto drive c but when i reconnected the back up drive which was working fine as slave before the check, windows is now saying the drive is corrupt and unreadable. I know that there are 156gb of files on there that cannot be replaced has anyone got any ideas how to get them off as i don't want to format the drive and lose everything on there and cant see how this drive has been affected by checking the other one

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Spam from thusau9, FE informed

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you tried running chkdsk /f to check your disk and fix any errors?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like a Medion PC, are you sure the drives are EIDE (you mention master and slave) rather than SATA?

Like this post
dickie1234

Likes # 0

to chub_tor it was chkdsk that caused all the problems with the c drive in the first place so after taking the files i wanted off the c drive i put them onto the f drive and ran chkdsk on the c drive which made a pigs ear of it and i had to format and reinstall windows now windows is reporting the f drive is corrupt and unreadable and i cant even access it to fruit bat yes they are eide and not sata its an old e machines pentium 4 (i know)but its the data i want to access and the damn thing is saying corrupt and inaccessible and will not even let me get into it with active boot disk tools

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you have already run chkdsk then you might want to take a look at this link from TRC and maybe try their free recovery software

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
dickie1234

Likes # 0

sorry for the delay but I've been busy with other stuff I've looked on the TRC site chub_tor and I've downloaded the app from the test disk site fruit bat and they both look promising i will give both a try and see if i get any joy thank you both for helping. keep an eye on this thread I'll let you know if i retrieve anything back off the drive

Like this post
dickie1234

Likes # 0

i forgot to mention that i went out and bought a new 500gb hard drive on Saturday 12th Jan but i really do need to get the data back off this drive if its possible

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

had similar problem, however my problems i had to change my ram memory.

Initially i used acronis but wouldn't allow me to clone disk or wipe the disc. Only when i bought new ram, i managed reinstall windows

Like this post
dickie1234

Likes # 0

Well guys i tried everything i could but Ive finished up having to bite the bullet and format the hard drive (which has formatted perfect with no bad sectors???). No matter which app i used i couldn't retrieve any of the files. The test disk found the partition OK fruit bat but it said the hard drive was reporting the wrong amount of cylinders or something and i couldn't copy the files to another location (my new hard drive) and even though i could see the partition in other rescue programs like undelete i couldn't copy it to a different location. Thanks again for all your help but it just goes to show even when you back up onto a different hard drive you can sometimes lose your files anyway. Something corrupted the MBR sector of the drive or something like that cos the files were on there i just couldn't read them I'll have to put this down to experience. Thanks again to everyone who helped

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite