We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to connect my laptop to tv

Hylander100

Likes # 0

I want to connect my laptop to my Led TV. I have tried already using VGA to RCA cable however I get "resolution not supported" appearing on the TV. What can I do to over come this ?

Some Info: Laptop Toshiba Satellite C650, only have VGA and USB ports. Would really prefer if I can connect them together using this VGA to RCA cable.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Have you tried reducing the resolution in Display on the laptop? You will also need an audio cable to connect from the headphone socket to the TV.

Like this post
Hylander100

Likes # 0

Yes I have already tried that.

Thank you.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Does the laptop have HDMI -and the TV.If so it should be ideal. I use a HDMI with a Toshiba satellite and it works fine.Also see here:

Toshiba

Like this post
Hylander100

Likes # 0

I have already stated that my Laptop only have VGA and USB ports.

So HDMI cable will not work.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Which resolution did you change? Was it for the external Display (2nd monitor) and does the vga port support component RCA

Presuming XP then rightclick on Desktop |Properties | settings and click on the Advanced button | Click on the tab designated for your computer’s graphics card. Look at options available in the display settings. See what you can change the VGA output to and try different settings.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Thank you but not help full.

My laptop is Toshiba Satellite C650, Windows 7,

So again when I connect them together I get " Mode not supported : Change resolution on external device:

I have done this , I have tried all different display modes however no success.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Hylander100, the scanty information you are supplying is not helpful to us.

What are the display options on your laptop for the vga port?

What does the tv manual say about using the rca ports for use as a pc monitor?

Like this post

Likes # 0

Posted by lotvic

It would seem you need to buy an adaptor to convert your vga to rca www.ehow.co.uk

"Toshiba laptop computers can connect to an external monitor for viewing on a larger screen by hooking up a VGA (video graphics array) cable from the port on the computer to the monitor. Connecting a Toshiba to a TV with RGB (red, green blue) component video jacks requires an adaptor available from electronics and computer stores. The adaptor unites the two different types of video cables and converts the VGA signal into a digital RGB signal that can be processed on the TV."

Here is an example of the adaptor available on amazon.co.uk price £13.99 with free delivery

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing