We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No sound on pc

Anya

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm hoping third time lucky as i've posted before but was still left with the same issues. I've bad luck! The sound on my pc has gone. I bought new speakers but they don't work , the inbuilt speaker on the monitor won't work and neither will my old speakers.

I've googled around and think I might have a sound card problem. I wouldn't be able to add/remove one myself so hoping i'm overlooking a simple solution. Any advice?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

What operating system are you running?

Like this post
Anya

Likes # 0

I have vista, don't know what type of sound card I have. Now receiving the message "volume control applet has stopped working"

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

First check Windows audio is running in services. Go to run and type services.msc. In the window that opens, scroll down to Windows Audio and double left click. Check that it is running and on auto. Click apply and OK if you have to change anything. Close the window.

Now right click the Speaker icon in the notification area (bottom right) and select Playback Devices. In the window that opens, right click a blank space and tick the boxes for Show Disabled Devices and Show disconnected devices.

In the list do you see your speakers? They should show as ready. You can right click and in the menu select as default. In the same menu you can also test any device for sound as long as it's the default.

See if that helps.

Like this post
Anya

Likes # 0

The speaker icon has a red arrow next to it as usual. It just says "High Definition Audio" and "Not plugged in" even though the speakers are plugged in and turned up.

Under the speaker icon is a black box and Digital Output Device (SPDIF) written next to it. That has a green tick next to it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Worth checking that the speaker jack is connected to the green socket at the back.

Go to run again and type devmgmt.msc, in device manager expand sounds, video and games controllers, any yellow warnings?

Like this post
Anya

Likes # 0

Everything is rigged up as normal , no yellow warnings and the drivers are all up to date when I check. I'm not sure what else it can be.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try going back to Playback Devices and disable the Digital Output Device, apply OK. Open playback devices again and see if your speakers are now 'ready' and can be set as default. I assume Windows audio is OK?

Like this post
Anya

Likes # 0

I did that last night and just now. The same thing happened. It still says it's not plugged in , other options such as "set as default" and "test" are greyed out. The icon at the bottom of the screen now has a red and white x by it. If I hover over it it says "No audio Output device is installed".

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

OK. Go back to device manager, sound,video and game controllers and right click the entries, properties, then the detail tab, device description, and scroll down to manufacturer. See if you can find out if you have a Realtek chip. If no information then download free SIW and check under audio what type of chip it is, http://download.cnet.com/SIW-Portable/3000-2094_4-75449686.html

Like this post
Anya

Likes # 0

It says Microsoft ,can't find anything called realtek

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...