We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

FAULTY KINGSTON MEMORY DRIVE

K*B

Likes # 0

Hello Friends, I have an 8GB (7.44GB) Kingston Flash drive with many files and folders saved on it. I have been using these files and folders quite a lot using my laptop. This morning I used the flash driver to do a presentation using another pc somewhere else. Strangely, when I returned home and put the same flash drive in the USB port of my laptop, all the many folders were gone! I couldn't see even 1 of them! I scanned the Kingston flash drive using AVAST software, scanned it again and fixed found errors using the facility in Vista Home basic; I still couldn't see my folders! I checked the free and used spaces on the flash drive and found that there is 3.61GB used space and 3.83GB free space. Only a few files on the flash drive whose sizes add up to 13.5MB are seen on the monitor! Where could all the folders and other files be hiding? How can I recover them? Please help.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You may be able to see/copy the files using Recuva but it sounds like the stick is defunct.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

You could try one of the many programs which recover files which have been deleted. Not saying yours have been deleted but its worth a shot.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Thanks wiz-king. I have used Recuva to see all the files I couldn't see on my memory stick. However, they were all listed as "unrecoverable" except 6 files which were listed as "excellent". I therefore saved these 6 good files to another drive. Since I would have no use for the unrecoverable files, I reformatted the memory stick and started using it all over again. Thanks for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow