We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why do I have to reset the network adapter every time I start up my laptop?

Margaret Penfold

Likes # 0

I have an Acer8 Aspire E1-571 I have to reset the network adapter every time I switch if I want to access the internet although the claims to be connected wirelessly to the router (BT Homehub ). Is there a simple way to reset the adapter? Is there a way it can be reset by default? Currently I don't know how to reset the adapter directly, so have to go to trouble shooting which first diagnoses No problem found and recommends going on line to find the answer! Then somehow, and am not sure how, I find an option to diagnose my network adapter. The computer does so and fixes the problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It may be that you are allowing windows to put the network adapter asleep. You do not say what Operating System you are using - this is the way you do it for windows 7

Click Start Type Device Manager in the search box, enter Select Network adapter and click on it to expand - you then see some options Select the wireless deice, right click and select Properties Select the Power Management Tab Uncheck the option - Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

If you do not have Windows 7 then you need to go into Device Manager of your Operating System and follow the same instructions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK