We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So, I feel quite silly

cab_man
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm at a loss of things to do. My Acer laptop had an issue with it's partitions so I (finally) got that out of the way, then I was getting the error: windows could not complete the installation, and now it's stuck on Setup is Starting services... I think I might've botched it, but I would like to know if there is anything I could do do get the laptop running correctly.

Any suggestions are welcome

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are you doing an Acer eRecovery image install, or from DVD's or what?

What OpSys is it? XP, Vista ?

Some background on the partitions problem would help. Is the factory restore option still available and is the recovery partition still there? Previous Thread

Like this post
cab_man

Likes # 0

It's an Acer Aspire running windows 7. I had done the eRecovery (a few times) but it kept getting stuck at 99%. I looked up some solutions, got Install Wizard and changed some info that I realized I had goofed. That got rid of the "Bootmgr is missing..." message, and then I was trying to find my way around the command prompt and I'm now confused.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can run System restore from Command prompt to see if that helps.Type rstrui.exe into command prompt and that brings up system restore.

Best bet would be to try sfc /scannow in command prompt remember to right click it and run as administrator.

I would try that one first.

Like this post
cab_man

Likes # 0

I ran sfc/scannow and it says "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to comeplete. Restart wqindows and run sfc again."

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did you try it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

So I guess you are busy doing that now. Post back when it's done and tell us what happened.

Like this post
cab_man

Likes # 0

I've tried to no avail. Any suggestions?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. After Windows copies all of the files to your hard drive, it will restart. When Windows is booting, press F8 in order to get to the safe mode screen.

2. Select Safe Mode from the list of options and hit Enter.

3. Wait for Safe Mode to boot and load all the services and drivers.

4. You should be greeted with an error popup. DO NOT CLICK “OK” OR HIT THE ENTER KEY. Instead, press SHIFT + F10 to bring up a command prompt.

5. Type the following into the command prompt and hit Enter.

compmgmtlauncher

1. Click Device Manager from the tree view in the left column.

2. Now go through and Disable the devices that are preventing Windows from starting. (Right Click > Disable).

Like this post
cab_man

Likes # 0

Hi, fruitbat.

I tried that yesterday with no variance in result

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Did you uninstall the chipset drivers and all Usb devices?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features