We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD's 4,5 or 6 Times A Day

The Paul
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting BSOD's over the last 4-6 weeks but not too frequently. Over the last week or so they are now hitting me 4, 5 or 6 times each day. I’ve researched both here and the web in general but nothing I have found has helped resolve this. The BSOD's indicate the following reasons - IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL - PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA - PFNLISTCORRUPT - MEMORYMANAGEMENT. I have recently, maybe the last 3 months or so, added 4GB Crucial Memory (2 x 2GB modules), a SanDisk 128GB SSD from which I now boot and an ASUS LCD Monitor. I have been told that the problem was faulty memory module/s so I called Crucial who have, kindly, taken them back and will send 2 new ones. But guess what, the BSOD's continue. Please help me as I cannot figure this mess out. I have been copying the Windows Has Recovered From A Serious Error messages but they don’t mean a thing to me. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Paul

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Oh deary me. My head hurts. Ive been looking at motherboards all evening and Ive now got a headache and total confusion written on my forehead.

One quick question if I may, will my existing processor and so on fit straight onto a new board? Ive never worked with motherboards and replacing before so I have no idea what to look for or at.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Sorry I have not come back to you sooner but I have been trying to source a covering for my PC desk. I have been looking for material something similar to the Boogie Bug Aim B.PAD mousemat. I finally got something here in Edinburgh but not sure if it is what I want.

Back to your motherboard dilemma,because you already have the RAM DDR2 and are looking for a compatible motherboard this is proving tricky. Unlike the more modern DDR3 RAM, DDR 2 is forgiving and needs to go in a suitable board.

To that end I have called in the troops, I have posted your motherboard search on a more component centred forum so hopefully these guys will be able to suggest something.

I will post as soon as I have something, meanwhile I have a desk to cover or failing that convince the GF that it will look great covering her desk.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

DDR 2 is forgiving! should be less forgiving.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Many thanks Chronos the 2nd Sorry if that sounded like I was hassling you, I wasnt. I thought Id try to figure it out myself but it was a minefield to a non techie. :-( And, thanks for going to the effort and posting elsewhere to try and find me a motherboard. I really appreciate your help.

ASROCK Motherboard This was the best option I could find and at a very reasonable price. It has 4 RAM slots and, as far as I can tell with my limited knowledge, I can use all four slots for DDR2 modules. What do you think?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

I am just checking RAM compatibility on the other forum but it is looking good.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

You're a star Chronos the 2nd

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 1

"I can use all four slots for DDR2 modules."

the board has 2x DDR2 slots and 2x DDR3 slots, you won't be able to use all 4 for DDR2.

have you tried connecting your drive into each different SATA port, i had a board in the past where port No1 was giving BSOD while the other three were fine.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

To be honest X7-250 no I havent. But I will do asap. Thanks for that.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 1

i can't see any feedback from you on earlier advice to run without a drive connected, which would of been useful, and probably made my suggestion redundant if you find there are issues even when just navigating the BIOS.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Sorry X7-250 I completely missed that post. I will do that test right now and let you know what I get.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback