We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD's 4,5 or 6 Times A Day

The Paul
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting BSOD's over the last 4-6 weeks but not too frequently. Over the last week or so they are now hitting me 4, 5 or 6 times each day. I’ve researched both here and the web in general but nothing I have found has helped resolve this. The BSOD's indicate the following reasons - IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL - PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA - PFNLISTCORRUPT - MEMORYMANAGEMENT. I have recently, maybe the last 3 months or so, added 4GB Crucial Memory (2 x 2GB modules), a SanDisk 128GB SSD from which I now boot and an ASUS LCD Monitor. I have been told that the problem was faulty memory module/s so I called Crucial who have, kindly, taken them back and will send 2 new ones. But guess what, the BSOD's continue. Please help me as I cannot figure this mess out. I have been copying the Windows Has Recovered From A Serious Error messages but they don’t mean a thing to me. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Paul

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Chronos the 2nd do you think it might just need the thermal paste renewing?

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Morning lotvic thanks for the posts. If by undoing the retaining clip I have dislodged the unit from the paste etc, why would this have taken so long to have an effect and get gradually become worse and worse to the point I am at now? Im asking because I dont understand not because Im questioning it. Could the paste deteriorate over time like that? If so, is the paste easily available? Could I simply clean away the old paste and renew it? I live in centre west France where things that you folks take for granted have never been heard of here. So it'd have to be bought on the web.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

I very much doubt that moving the CPU retention clip would have caused your problems as with the heat-sink in place there would be very little movement.

But thermal paste does deteriorate over time so it would hurt to place it on your CPU. You would need to buy some if you decided to change the motherboard anyway. Bad thermal insulation is more likely to cause shut downs rather than BSOD's but it would not hurt to renew it. I just use a dab of aftershave or perfume on a lint free cloth to clean off the old thermal paste.

If you go the renew mobo route then depending on budget the Asrocks look suitable. As to fitting I would have to say no it is not difficult but i have been building for a while. The trickiest part is connecting the case front panel to the mobo but you will get a manual and if you want I could help out. As it happens I am regularly in touch via the phone with another bloke I met on here, he stays in France in Ille et Vilaine and I appreciate that it is not so easy to get stuff in that part of the world,well not according to him anyway, but he does stay in the middle of nowhere.

But getting back to changing a motherboard, basically you are removing components from old motherboard to the new. You would need to make sure the RAM was compatible but that is not a problem. So it is not a difficult task but like anything new it can be daunting but there is plenty of virtual help to be had to walk you through it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Don't suppose it could be down to a faulty CMOS battery could it.

Don't all shout at me at once.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Thanks folks for posting. Jock1e I take it that that is the wee silver battery on the motherboard?

Chronos the 2nd I have looked at the ASRock boards as you posted yesterday and to be honest Im well out of my depth as to which one I should go for. As always budget is vitalBUT I need this PC to work. What is importtant is that I have just bought 4 modules of RAM from Crucial which I would, of course, like to use.The modules ore DDR2 256x64 PC2-5300 240 Pin UnBuffered NonECC. There is 6 GBs in total hence my hope to be able to use them.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

What about this one from Amazon ASRock DDR2 Motherboardis this the sort that I need?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

The Paul

Yes that's the one.

I was only having a wild guess as you have tried most other things and the computer is just about the right age group for it to happen.

If you have had no problems with the time and date setting we could probably rule it out.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Give me a few moments whilst I check RAM compatibility.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

The mobo specs. Asrock. And checking with Crucial it confirms your PC2 5300 RAM is compatible with the mobo.If you are only installing 32BIT operating system then 4GB is all you can use as it will not see 6GB's.

I have just looked at supported operating systems and Windows 7 is not listed,that is not to say that it will not work but there seems little point in taking the risk that you swap one set of problems for another set.

I'll have a look for a suitable board

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Many thanks folks. No Jock1e Ive never had a problem with system time or date. Chronos the 2nd I didnt see that it didnt support Windows 7. My Windows 7 is 64bit by the way

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...