We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD's 4,5 or 6 Times A Day

The Paul
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting BSOD's over the last 4-6 weeks but not too frequently. Over the last week or so they are now hitting me 4, 5 or 6 times each day. I’ve researched both here and the web in general but nothing I have found has helped resolve this. The BSOD's indicate the following reasons - IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL - PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA - PFNLISTCORRUPT - MEMORYMANAGEMENT. I have recently, maybe the last 3 months or so, added 4GB Crucial Memory (2 x 2GB modules), a SanDisk 128GB SSD from which I now boot and an ASUS LCD Monitor. I have been told that the problem was faulty memory module/s so I called Crucial who have, kindly, taken them back and will send 2 new ones. But guess what, the BSOD's continue. Please help me as I cannot figure this mess out. I have been copying the Windows Has Recovered From A Serious Error messages but they don’t mean a thing to me. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Paul

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Rather than trawl through 6 pages of this thread can you tell me what motherboard you have.

Not sure what you mean by clip that you undid to remove a tangled wire, so looking at your mobo may give me an idea. But I doubt that is the cause but not certain.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

It was a retaining clip for the processor (I think its the processor - the square thing on the MoBo) and there was a wire from one of the drives which was trapped underneath the clip (it was a tight fit so I was trying to loosen it). I undid the retaining clip and then thought better of it and redid it again.

HP Spec

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

The clip you loosened is OK that will not have caused any problems.

And motherboard is?

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Its an MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) made by ECS - according to the spec on the HP web site. Im afraid I dont know anything worth a fig regarding MoBos. Does that help?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Yes this is it. Mobo. This is an AM2 socket motherboard.Socket being the CPU.

So it is really up to you whether you want to replace the mobo or not?

This will give you some idea of prices for an AM2 mobo.Ebay.

Is this your main PC, it would be a good way to learn about building PC's,get a cheap board and use what you have in the current problem PC to rebuild.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

For testing, I would disconnect all the Hard drives and anything else attached and power up so it only gets as far as the Bios screen and tells you it can't find an operating system. Then leave it on a while and see if it still crashes. Then you will know if the problem occurs before or after booting up the op sys on hard drive.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

Before you tried thhe HP recovery, Did you wipe the drive as I think you need to do that before using your HP DVD recovery discs. Use Killdisk to do it

Link to Killdisk

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

I am getting ahead of myself and you should take lotvic advice first.In case it is the PSU.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

woodchip the Recovery Disk gives you the option to reformat which I did. Right now the disk is empty of any OS as it wont go past the reformat stage.

Chronos the 2nd Im still with you as I think its the board BUT I will do the test lotvic suggested first.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

By the way Chronos the 2nd which motherboard would I buy from the list and is it a nightmare to install?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite