We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD's 4,5 or 6 Times A Day

The Paul
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting BSOD's over the last 4-6 weeks but not too frequently. Over the last week or so they are now hitting me 4, 5 or 6 times each day. I’ve researched both here and the web in general but nothing I have found has helped resolve this. The BSOD's indicate the following reasons - IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL - PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA - PFNLISTCORRUPT - MEMORYMANAGEMENT. I have recently, maybe the last 3 months or so, added 4GB Crucial Memory (2 x 2GB modules), a SanDisk 128GB SSD from which I now boot and an ASUS LCD Monitor. I have been told that the problem was faulty memory module/s so I called Crucial who have, kindly, taken them back and will send 2 new ones. But guess what, the BSOD's continue. Please help me as I cannot figure this mess out. I have been copying the Windows Has Recovered From A Serious Error messages but they don’t mean a thing to me. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Paul

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 1

rdave13

"What do others think" At this stage PSU written all over it.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

You need to stick with the original OS you got with the PC. As Compatible Drivers will be a problem for the Motherboard. This may be the Problem and why you have so many IRQ's

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Morning everyone. Its really getting worse now. Ive been trying for last 2 hours to get it to boot. Various things happen. BSOD's of course, but then when it wants to go into repair mode Ive been getting StartRep.exe Application Error messages. The end of the messages tells me that the memory could not be read. Then, when I tried to install the MoBo drivers off a USB stick I got Windows Modules Installer Stopped Working. !!!

woodchip I tried many times to reinstall the original set up using the HP Recovery Disks that I made when I forst got the PC. It wouldnt do it. I'll go and try again and let you know what happens.

rdave13 I have been trying to reinstall to the SSD HDD. This is one that I added earlier last year. When the various BSOD's and so on happen I dont notice the power going off but then I dont know what I would be looking for, or at, anyway. How could I tell if it is the PSU?

Thanks all.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

If you've tried installing win 7 on an ordinary hdd and the ssd and still get the bsod I can't think of anything else but motherboard problems or PSU dipping. Have you got another PSU to at least prove one way or another that it's causing the problem or not. I can't think of anything else.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

rdave13 I have an older system that I could butcher. It mightnt be the same wattage. Will that matter? The HP is a 300Watt unit and I think the other one I have is 240Watt.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Should be enough as a temporary measure at least to see if you can get an OS installed.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Sorry folks but the PSU I had in the old system had 20 pin P1 socket while my HP has a 24 pin P1 socket.

woodchip I tried several times to install the Recovery Disks. I got half way through the 1st disk and then a BSOD with stop messages. Ive noted them below. I stopped after the 3rd BSOD.

I know this is probably stupid but at no time was there a power interruption that I could see. The system would be copying the files and then without any warning BSOD.

STOP - 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x6A53C575, 0x00000000, 0x6A53C575)

STOP - 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xF73D7AD1, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) acpi.sys - Address F73D7AD1 base at F73C7000, Date Stamp 3b7d8550

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Looks like your mobo has problems I am afraid to say.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos the 2nd I know this is probably a "how long is a piece of string" question, but is there any way to test for sure? 2nd question, Ive had a quick look on the web and I expect to pay approx £50-£70 for a replacement MoBo. Is this worth doing do you think?

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Just a very quick and probably final thought from me, if I had dislodged the CPU and replaced it (I undid the clip when I was installing the SSD as the power cable was wrapped around it) and I put it back as it was, could this have caused the problems. That was approx October time. The problems didnt start then more like early to mid December. All I did was undo the clip and then re-clip it again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia