We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD's 4,5 or 6 Times A Day

The Paul
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting BSOD's over the last 4-6 weeks but not too frequently. Over the last week or so they are now hitting me 4, 5 or 6 times each day. I’ve researched both here and the web in general but nothing I have found has helped resolve this. The BSOD's indicate the following reasons - IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL - PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA - PFNLISTCORRUPT - MEMORYMANAGEMENT. I have recently, maybe the last 3 months or so, added 4GB Crucial Memory (2 x 2GB modules), a SanDisk 128GB SSD from which I now boot and an ASUS LCD Monitor. I have been told that the problem was faulty memory module/s so I called Crucial who have, kindly, taken them back and will send 2 new ones. But guess what, the BSOD's continue. Please help me as I cannot figure this mess out. I have been copying the Windows Has Recovered From A Serious Error messages but they don’t mean a thing to me. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Paul

Like this post
silver78

Likes # 1

You may wish to check your RAM for errors. I suggest you first remove and reseat it then run Memtest Available here http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memory-Tweak/Microsoft-Windows-Memory-Diagnostic.shtml.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

This is a old hardware problem from the past, does not happen much today as computers seem to manage hardware better. Its a IRQ problem where IRQ's are shared. You need to try to resolve this, in the past IRQ's you could change hardware so they used different IRQ's

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

PS go to Start/Programs/Accessories/Tools/System Information/IRQ's

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Thanks woodchip Im actually running MemTest and its been running for ages. Once its finished I'll do as you suggest. Fingers crossed eh??

silver78 I had already started MemTest but thanks for your input anyway

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

I shouldnt have spoken. Internet Explorer just has one IE Has Stopped Working one after another now. The MemTest was clear with no errors. woodchip I have uploaded a screen dump of the IRQ page that you mentioned. Everything on this page showed as OK IRQ Page

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

So It unlikely to be a RAM issue, would be possible to tell me what motherboard you are using? As it might well be a driver issue or failing mobo, SSD is a possibility but to rule that out you would need to install Win 7 on another HDD and then see if you still have the problems.

How old is the PC and what make/model is it?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

Is this PC an old PC that you have upgraded the OS to Win7

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

PS you can also check in Device Manager if there is a IRQ conflict, You have to Right click things then Properties General and Resources, Should allow to change things if you find a problem

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd this is a screen dump of what I hope answers your question regarding MoBo, make and model of PC PV Model etchere is some more info. I hope Im giving you the info you need More PC Info

woodchip I have checked every entry that I could for the IRQ things and there was nothing that stood out as a warning. Im not sure what I sould be looking for BUT there were no exclamation marks and so on

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

I had been running W7 for a good while before these problems started. I did a reformat and reinstall, perhaps mid 2012, then added the monitor, the extra RAM and then in October the SSD HDD. I got an odd BSOD but they become more regular until the last couple of weeks or so when they just came 4, 5 or 6 times a day.

I looked at the system drivers in Device Manager and it says, as it does for everything in DM, that all drivers are up to date.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room