We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD's 4,5 or 6 Times A Day

The Paul
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting BSOD's over the last 4-6 weeks but not too frequently. Over the last week or so they are now hitting me 4, 5 or 6 times each day. I’ve researched both here and the web in general but nothing I have found has helped resolve this. The BSOD's indicate the following reasons - IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL - PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA - PFNLISTCORRUPT - MEMORYMANAGEMENT. I have recently, maybe the last 3 months or so, added 4GB Crucial Memory (2 x 2GB modules), a SanDisk 128GB SSD from which I now boot and an ASUS LCD Monitor. I have been told that the problem was faulty memory module/s so I called Crucial who have, kindly, taken them back and will send 2 new ones. But guess what, the BSOD's continue. Please help me as I cannot figure this mess out. I have been copying the Windows Has Recovered From A Serious Error messages but they don’t mean a thing to me. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Paul

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

You are not being thick,if you don't know something that's what why here to help

If you click on my second link,the red here, that will take you to here http://www.imagehosting.com/ and then click on browse.

Browse to where you have the screen-shot on your pc click on it and it will appear in the image hosting box then click on upload, when it has uploaded a box will open giving you four choices,select the first line and copy and paste it here.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

I kept having BSODs , but with Windows 8, and had problems with WIn7 with browser freezes. Only run it now on XP.

Let Chronos the 2nd have a look at your screen-shot first in case something else is causing the BSODs.

Otherwise I suggest you run the uninstaller tool, http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility , in safe mode and try running Microsoft Security Essentials, http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx , for a while.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone and sorry I havent posted BUT it was just crashing all the time last night. Im posting on the laptop at the moment. Ive got it running again so I'll try to post the BSOD data and uninstall Avast. I'll repost as soon as possible.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd here is link to BSOD View BSOD View

rdave13 thanks for that. I have uninstalled Avast and I am running the Microsoft Essentials. Before doing that I had 4 BSOD's and since doing that I have had NONE. If it is down to Avast why? Ive had it on this machine for ages and no problems ever. Its on the laptops too and never any problems.

Anyway, if you have time, please let me know what you think of the BSOD View and once again - many thanks for all your help. Paul

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Maybe this will be the kiss of death - but sincing Avast, I havent had one Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working window pop up. Mmmmmmmm. Interesting.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Thanks for that but I was really looking for the initial page you get when you run Bluescreen View. This page. This will give me a better idea of the types of BSOD's rather than just the one you have posted.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd sorry about that. Try this, hopefully its the right thing this time. BSOD List

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

My initial, thoughts are that you have a RAM problem so can you download and run this: Memtest. These BSOD's could also be caused by using older drivers particularly motherboard. But this is a little more tricky to confirm but have you recently upgraded to widows 7?

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Just when you thought it was safe to go back intio the water - here's another one Another BSOD

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd I installed W7 about a year ago or more. When I did so I learned that the 2GB of RAM that came with the system wasnt going to be enough as it was minimum RAM level. Late last year I did a Crucial scan of my system which indicated that I had 4 slots and could cope with 8GB. I ordered 2 modules as described by Crucial at 2GB per module. To be honest I noticed little, if any, difference and not long afterwards the system became unstable. It had been pretty stable up to that point. I was told by an "expert" that it was my RAM so recently I contacted Crucial who agreed to replace the 2 modules. They are doing this now so I am back to the basic 2GB I had at outset. To test the system I took out the 2 original modules and its still BSOD'd. Then when I sent the 2 modules back to Crucial I inserted the 2 originals and it still BSOD'd. So that is why I thought maybe the SSD or the monitor.

So, in short, the BSOD's came no matter which RAM modules I had in. Either, all 4, the 2 Crucial or the 2 originals.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)