We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD's 4,5 or 6 Times A Day

The Paul
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting BSOD's over the last 4-6 weeks but not too frequently. Over the last week or so they are now hitting me 4, 5 or 6 times each day. I’ve researched both here and the web in general but nothing I have found has helped resolve this. The BSOD's indicate the following reasons - IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL - PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA - PFNLISTCORRUPT - MEMORYMANAGEMENT. I have recently, maybe the last 3 months or so, added 4GB Crucial Memory (2 x 2GB modules), a SanDisk 128GB SSD from which I now boot and an ASUS LCD Monitor. I have been told that the problem was faulty memory module/s so I called Crucial who have, kindly, taken them back and will send 2 new ones. But guess what, the BSOD's continue. Please help me as I cannot figure this mess out. I have been copying the Windows Has Recovered From A Serious Error messages but they don’t mean a thing to me. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Paul

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Don't want to muddy the waters but how about something like this adapter, adapter. See what Chronos the 2nd thinks about it. Might be good enough for a test with those other PSU's you have?

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Great idea rdave13. Thanks for that.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

rdave13

I have not come across this type of adapter before your post,most interesting. I wonder if I should add one of these to my large collection of adapter cables. But then again it has been years since I came across a PC with the old 20 pin ATX connection.

The Paul

Is it worth a try? I am not sure. Why not? But I am going to ask about these as I have not come across them before.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 1

Paul, is it worth messing around with 2 old PSUs of unknown quality. I would but a new one. If you still need to change the mobo then at least you have a decent PSU to compliment it. Take the PSU out of the equation once and for all.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Thanks folks. I had already ordered the adapter cable from Aamazon and will give it a go. Sure if it doesnt work "it'll maybe come in handy one day". Oh how my wife just loves that expression. Not!!!

bumpkin by the time you add postage to the cost of a new PSU from the UK it'd cost about 45- 50€. I have been given a brand new PSU 400Watt but with 20 pins. IF the adapter works then Im quids in and if not then its cost me £2.99 for the adapter and £2.00 (or so) for postage. The adapter has already been posted out from the UK so I may even have it for the weekend.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. Cheers. Paul

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Paul You obviously missed my posts you do not need the adapter, you can use the 20 Pin ATX connector and just leave the other 4 empty as long as you remember to plug in the 4 Pin 12V connector.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Paul, now that you have explained about the postage and the fact you have a brand new PSU 400W then trying the adapter makes good sense. Let's hope that is the answer then your patience will have paid off. Good luck.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Thanks bumpkin I'll keep you all posted when the parts come and see how I get on.

Chronos the 2nd I didnt see the post and, in fact,I cant see it still. I tried to insert, by chance I had the idea myself (I know frightening isnt it) the PSU with the 20 pin plug into the 24 pin socket and it simplky wouldnt go in. NO doubt I was doing something wrong but I couldn't get it to go in. Anyway, the Parts are en route and Iguess I'll have them for the weekend or Monday and I can try it all then. The other thing is that the PSU didnt have any plug style to work with a Sata based disk.

Its never easy when Im about - sorry :-(

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

OK, for some reason my posts are not there.No matter the adapter you have coming will be fine.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 1

Hi again Paul, sorry I don't have a link but there is another cheap little power adapter for molex to sata available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)