We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD's 4,5 or 6 Times A Day

The Paul
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting BSOD's over the last 4-6 weeks but not too frequently. Over the last week or so they are now hitting me 4, 5 or 6 times each day. I’ve researched both here and the web in general but nothing I have found has helped resolve this. The BSOD's indicate the following reasons - IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL - PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA - PFNLISTCORRUPT - MEMORYMANAGEMENT. I have recently, maybe the last 3 months or so, added 4GB Crucial Memory (2 x 2GB modules), a SanDisk 128GB SSD from which I now boot and an ASUS LCD Monitor. I have been told that the problem was faulty memory module/s so I called Crucial who have, kindly, taken them back and will send 2 new ones. But guess what, the BSOD's continue. Please help me as I cannot figure this mess out. I have been copying the Windows Has Recovered From A Serious Error messages but they don’t mean a thing to me. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Paul

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Mmmmmmm - here's weird. As X7-250 pointed out I'd missed a post from lotvic suggesting booting with no HDDs connected. X7-250 had also suggested switching the Sata cable from one socket to another to see if it would boot from there. So I did both.

The PC went into BIOS mode and stopped telling me I had no system disk. It stayed like that for over 30 minutes and I guess would have continued to do that had I let it. I then switched Sata sockets from the 2nd socket to the 3rd using ONLY the SSD HDD and completely unplugging the old HDD. As there is now no Operating System on the SSD I booted from the CD drive with the rescue disc in and it started to load the files to the SSD. AS soon as it was ready to install the files I got a BSOD. So I did the same with all Sata sockets and got the same result. I then removed the SSD cables completely and re-connected the old (non Sata) HDD which still had Windows 7 installed and it booted from there, more or less, as normal EXCEPT that none of the safety applications, as I call them, Avast - SuperAntiSpyware and so on, were there. The icons were but I got a System 32 error message for each of them including IE9 and weirdly Devise Manager too. Ive left it running now for about an hour or so and the only thing that happened was during a windows update it hung on reboot. I forced it to switch off by holding the power button and rebooted it, which it did perfectly. I have rebooted it 3 times since to test it and it has booted perfectly every time. I then tried to install my Windows 7 installation disc to see if it would do a repair. It went through the motions but the bits that were/are missing (IE, Device Manager etc) still show as System32 errors.

I dont understand this. Over the weekend, when you folks were helping me with your posts, we tried booting to the old HDD and it wouldnt do it? Am I losing the plot here. Is this an intermittent fault or is it something else do you think?

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Mother of God I should have kept my mouth shut. Just as I'd finished the last post BSOD - message is a new one "SystemServiceException". Hadnt had that one before. So, hopefully I havent done the wrong thing here but Ive left the system without the SSD HDD and I am doing a reformat and reinstall of Windows 7 to see what happens.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Well a far as the guys elsewhere are concerned that mobo should be fine with your RAM but of course with older tech it is a little more difficult to be absolutely sure.

But let us know how you get on with whatever you are doing with your PC now.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Forget that!!! I tried to reinstall and I got nowhere. It just crashed and crashed so I tried the old system recovery Disks. They crashed at the same spot as they did when I tried the Recovery on the SSD HDD. I wonder is it the Recovery disks that have a fault here. Exactly the same spot which is when the system has copied the files and wants to start installing. I'll search to see if I can get a set to download in case mine are damaged or something.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos the 2nd - Im getting nowhere as Ive posted above. What are the chances of it NOT being the motherboard? I guess thats a piece of string question!!!

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 1

you could always try a version of Linux, some are only 50MB download, either onto the disk or via a LiveCD/USB if you suspect your install media is at fault.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Thanks X7-250 I have never seen Linux and nor do I know the first thing about it. Im just a regular MS Office user, ie Outlook, Word and Excel, a wee bit of Photoshop and a wee bit of Dreamweaver.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Paul, you are using old technology and it is time you joined the modern world LOL. To be honest there is no way I can categorically state that it is your mobo without a hands on inspection. To be honest I am wondering why you are bothering with it as you obviously have access to another PC.

But I am more than happy to keep trying. You could if you think it is your disks that are at fault download Windows 7 iso here and burn that to disk. It will work with your activation code.

But I think you are reaching a point of decision on what you are going to do with this pile of,sorry PC.LOL.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

that's fair enough, it's probably not worth it anyway, it's looking highly likely you have hardware issues rather than software, but running linux would of confirmed it.

if you do buy a new motherboard, hopefully there is no issue with the recovery disks being tied to the old board, win7 too if it's OEM.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd - :-) :-) - at my age the modern world is one very frightening place. Better the way I am for all your sakes ;-) I know that you, or anyone else cannot 100% determine my problem and MoBo is about as accurate as I could possibly expect you guys (without gender) to arrive at - and - as I have said before I am massively grateful to you all for your brilliant input. By the way, how did the desk job go ???

X7-250 - I have the installation disc for W7 so I should be good to go BUT

I am posting this form the HP for dear sake. I reformatted the original non sata HDD and reinstalled W7 on it and - SO FAR - its not **'d. Im nearly frightened to say it. I have also installed the original driver set for the MoBo so I'll leave it running tonight and see what happens in the morning. Keep your fingers croseed - BUT - that still leaves the questions "What - why and for how long????"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...