We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD's 4,5 or 6 Times A Day

The Paul
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been getting BSOD's over the last 4-6 weeks but not too frequently. Over the last week or so they are now hitting me 4, 5 or 6 times each day. I’ve researched both here and the web in general but nothing I have found has helped resolve this. The BSOD's indicate the following reasons - IRQLNOTLESSOREQUAL - PAGEFAULTINNONPAGEDAREA - PFNLISTCORRUPT - MEMORYMANAGEMENT. I have recently, maybe the last 3 months or so, added 4GB Crucial Memory (2 x 2GB modules), a SanDisk 128GB SSD from which I now boot and an ASUS LCD Monitor. I have been told that the problem was faulty memory module/s so I called Crucial who have, kindly, taken them back and will send 2 new ones. But guess what, the BSOD's continue. Please help me as I cannot figure this mess out. I have been copying the Windows Has Recovered From A Serious Error messages but they don’t mean a thing to me. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards. Paul

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Check device manager for yellow exclamation marks and make sure you have no unsigned drivers on it.

Gives you something to try till others can give you further help.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 1

First of all save all your data so you won't lose anything,sounds like a case of full format and reinstall,others will know better, me i would just do a fresh install,have you a spare drive to install so you could use that to do a reinstall to see how it goes.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Thanks folks for the replies. There are no yellow exclamation marks. In fact, all morning I have updating all drivers to see if this was the cause. All drivers were up to date. I have 2 external HDs. One is for my music library and the other I use solely as a back up disk with a weekly scheduled back up. I also have 2 internal HDs. One is the new SSD from which I now boot and the other (which still has the OS installed) is the original HD and on which I have all my Docs, Pictures etc. The new SSD has the main software applications that I use. Some of these might also be loaded on the old HD too. I cant recall. So back ups are up to date. If I do a reinstall, do I reformat both internal HDs and install the OS (Windows 7) to the SSD only. Mind you, I'd still like to find out what happened and why.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Download and install Bluescreenview This will give you a lot more detail about your BSOD's after running this software it might be better to take a screen-hot of the results and post it here.

In answer to your question about whether you need to format both internal drives in the case of a reinstall no, just reinstall on the SSd and ignore the other hard-drive. Though I notice that you have an old OS on the other internal HDD.Why? If you have backed up everything from that drive then I would also format it then move all the My folders back to it after any reinstall of Windows.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Have you tried running it without anything plugged into your usb sockets to see if it runs any better.

If not it at least rules it out as the problem.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

if you decide to reinstall, I would advise to disconnect the other harddrives and only have the SSD HDD attached and get that up and working with no BSOD's before you add the other drives back in. Same goes for anything else you have attached.

Actually I think before you go for a reinstall it's worth disconnecting everything 'extra' and then see if you still get the BSOD's with just the SSD drive in. That would also give you chance to find out what software is on there.

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

While trying to post this I have had 2 more BSOD’s. Each one has been with all peripherals unplugged, including printer. In Device Manager under Monitor the ASUS VW193DR is shown only as Generic PnP Monitor. I cant find a driver for it on the ASUS site and the driver update in Monitor Properties in Device Manager says Im using the up to date Windows driver. Could it be the ASUS or something associated with it? Do I disconnect the original HDD while reinstalling? I will reformat it to remove everything including the original OS (also W7). BlueScreenView has been installed and shows 4 of todays 5 BSOD’s. How do I show you guys what it says? Thanks for all the great input so far folks. Paul

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Download this Screenhunter Free Then run it take a note of where it will store the screen shots, I am not sure where the default is as I have moved mine to My Documents. Take a note of the key to press,I think it is F6 then minimise it. Run Bluescreen View then press F6 you will heae a camera click type sound. then you need to go here. Browse to where you have the screen-shot and upload, when it has uploaded a box will open giving you four choices,sellect the first line and copy and paste it here.

Do not worry about a monitor driver this has nothing to do with your BSOD's, I see no reason to disconnect any other HDD just because you are reinstalling, I never have and I reinstall several times a year and I have three internal HDD's.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Just out of curiosity do you have Avast as your antivirus?

Like this post
The Paul

Likes # 0

Yes I do have Avast. I have the free version.

Chronos the 2nd - Ive done that but how do I upload? Sorry for being so thick.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014