We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Router is connected but cant access the internet

gailmcfarlane

Likes # 0

Im having some problems connecting to the internet. my router is perfectly connected but i cant have wireless internet connection. when i plug the cable in the wall socket and in my computer, it works perfectly. But when i try to plug it in my router to have wireless, it doesnt work. Ive tried resetting the router or installing it again. but it doesnt work. HELPPP PLEASEE.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I am not entirely sure what you mean by your router works perfectly when you plug the cable into the wall socket but when you try to plug it into the router it doesn't. What type of router do you have? Is it just a router, a modem/router or do you have a separate modem too?

Assuming you just have a router. First of all have you plugged in your router to a power supply?

Have you connected your router by ethernet cable to the filter that is attached to the box that brings in the telephone supply - this filter has your telephone connected to one socket.

Are there lights on your router?

If so, go through the process of setting up a wired connection first by attaching an ethernet cable to your computer to the router. You then have to fill in the details requested by the connection wizard.

Once this wired connection works you can then disconnect the ethernet cable from your pc and attempt a wireless connection.This article gives you the steps.

You do not say which operating system you are using.

Are you using a laptop? If so is the wireless enabled?

Like this post
gailmcfarlane

Likes # 0

My router is a modem/router included, it belkin. it was working fine before. im using a laptop, win 7 and yes with wireless option. yes the lights are on and are completely normal (which is blue). my computer detects my router and it connects to it. however, it doesnt allow me to access internet. when i plug in my ethernet cable to my computer and to the wall socket, it works perfectly. so its not an internet problem. yes my router is plugged correctly, nothing changed except i cant have internet access anymore. Thanks for the reply.

Like this post
gailmcfarlane

Likes # 0

router is connected but red light..

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"when i plug in my ethernet cable to my computer and to the wall socket, it works perfectly."

Are you in Halls of Residence, or similar, where internet access is provided via a wall-mounted ethernet socket? Otherwise, what is the wall socket that you're plugging into?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers