We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Update for Jan 2013

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

So many of these updates give me problems that my heart sinks when I see the yellow symbol. Today was no different, first click and it told me there were nine updates and the first one was the Malicious Removal Tool. I gave up after 10 minutes with nothing happening, shut and rebooted and this time it said there were eight updates not nine and there was no sign of the Removal Tool, but this lot seemed to download. I opened up the Security Centre to check, which took an age because it kept freezing, it offered me an Activex installaTION (Despite Activex being previously on the computer!) but it wouldn't install!! Just Googled the update and it said there were seven updates this month...not eight...not nine?? Anyone make any sense out of this?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I had about 8 or 9 (didn't actually count them) and they seem to hang for several minutes before installing - I went and made a coffee and when I came back it was halfway through. Very slow installing them this time, don't know why.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I had 11 updates for W/8 in your case there were probably 7 crucial updates and 2 others not crucial.

I was thinking of giving up with the Malicious removal tool for all of the years I have used it it has found nothing.

Just like the rest of Microsoft security programs not needed if you have better installed.

Some folk are having problems with the updates and if you are worried about downloading them all at once turn off automatic updates and run it manually the 2nd Tuesday of every month.Then just install them 1 at a time or 2 at a time.Less likely to have any problems that way.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e, I'll do that.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I had the reminder for 8 updates yesterday, downloaded three from the list because the others five were for Microsoft NET Framework, which I didn't think necessary.

Yesterday evening and this morning, was being pestered to download the other the other five. Started the procedure, and it seems to be taking ages?.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Played hell with my machine, just doing System Restore.

Like this post
canbrit

Likes # 0

Hey you guys in the UK had it easy. I had seventeen(17) updates today for my Windows 7/64. I think I'll move back to the UK !!!!!!

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Played havoc with my computer, been on it for hours trying to fiox thed mess that the updates created. Seems there are two separate lots???? The Malicious Removal Tool was in the second batch and ironically I could have done with it to sort the problems that Microsoft created....all the malicious stuff came from them. I had a blank screen, lost all my on screen programs, four system restores, Safe Mode and there's more but I'm too depressed to go on. Damn you Microsoft and insert your malicious updates in that special place!!

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

I have two laptops with W7/64/SP1. One had ten updates whilst the other had twelve, the "extra" two being W7 updates. Three updates on each were the NET Framework things which usually take ages to install but this time they installed like greased lightning. These inconsistencies are a bit unsettling.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback