We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

change local account to Microsoft account in windows 8

mackers

Likes # 0

Can't connect to Microsoft services to change local account to Microsoft account in windows 8?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is this how you are doing it?

Windows 8 How To: Switch Between Windows Accounts and Local Accounts ClickHere

Like this post
mackers

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic. Yes. I don't have a hotmail address and when I click to 'sign up' I get '..can't contact Microsoft Services right now etc.' Have checked network diagnostics and problem can't be identified. At one stage got a 0x800c0008 error message. Even tried a 'clean boot' though I may not have tried all the options on this yet.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

there's a part on Howto Geek about not using a hotmail address, might be of some use.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"got a 0x800c0008 error message"

Apparently that's a general network failure error. Apologies for asking an obvious question, but can the affected PC connect OK to the Internet? If it can, then does your security software have its own firewall? If it does then see if you can temporarily disable it for a while then try changing your account type again.

Like this post
mackers

Likes # 0

Have tried disabling firewall and I still get 'Sorry we couldn't connect to Microsoft Services right now. If this problem persists search for 'Network Problems' on the start screen. Done this but still get the same message

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think I may have some sort of an answer, Have you created a Microsoft Account with your non hotmail address? (lateral thought - you can't sign in to an account that doesn't exist yet)

How would you like to sign in? on Sign Up page

Found this on answers.microsoft.com

"While most Microsoft accounts will probably be associated with an @hotmail.com, @outlook.com, or @live.com email address, you can create a Microsoft account linked to any email address. For example, you could have a Microsoft account linked to your @gmail.com email address"

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

On second thoughts, reading your posts it looks as if that is where it fails?

Could it be a Proxy problem?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" Have you created a Microsoft Account..."

That's what the OP's trying to do ;)

Yours is a good idea though. Rather than signing up for a Microsoft account via Windows 8, it may help if the account was created via the appropriate webpage.

Like this post
mackers

Likes # 0

Thanks guys. Opened a Microsoft Account via the official web page (and via another PC). Verified the email address but the problem still persists. I reckon its a network proxy problem.

Like this post
mackers

Likes # 0

Sorted. Turned out to be a registry problem. A complete system restore was the solution. Of course was easy to this as then laptop was brand new so nothing on it. Thanks again for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...