We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W8 Upgrade for GBP 14.99

SillBill
Resolved

Likes # 0

Since I bought a new desktop in December with (my preferred OS) W7 preinstalled I took the option to register for the £14.99 upgrade to W8 particularly because it did not need to be installed on the new Comp. but could be installed on any computer with a legitimate copy of Windows. Now I read that it has to be downloaded to the machine on which you wish to run it but I don't really want to run it on either at present.

My question is, is this an ISO file download of 2GB which can be burned to a DVD for later installation or can it only be run and installed when downloaded?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Thanks, Batch, I'll have a think about it, I just don't believe I want to turn a 22" monitor into a Tablet look/and actalike.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I must admit I would buy it for the future but no use parting with £15 if it has to be registered by the end of February.

So far I have read that it must be downloaded and registered by February the 28th.

Anyone find a later date when it can be used.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

SillBill I downloaded Win8 on the basis that I might use it on one of my XP based PCs (I have 3 and nothing else). I downloaded Win8 on my netbook, burned the ISO to DVD and installed on my desktop PC (on a cloned copy of the hard disk). I did not activate it and quickly reverted to XP on the main disk. I did not like what I saw and I have to say that when I get round to buying a new desktop PC I will go for Win7 Pro or Ultimate (which will also allow me to readily run older software in an XP environment). That will see me through to 2020. My other PCs may well move to Ubuntu.

XP SPECIAL NOTE: I did not make it clear in my earlier post in this thread that if you download on XP you do not get the option to burn to DVD or make a bootable flash drive. See the link in my earlier post (to another thread on this forum) that discusses workarounds for this.

Jock1e, I'm not to sure whether you are confusing "registration" (for the option of a further reduction in the price of a Win8 upgrade when a Win7 PC has been recently bought) with "activation". I have even checked with Ed Bott (a well known Windows guru of many years standing and author of many Windows manuals) and he has advised that there is no time limit for activation of the upgrade under these offers.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Thanks, Batch, you have convinced me - I DON'T WANT W8!!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Batch

I am on about the cheap £15 upgrade if you have bought a W/7 laptop within the last 4 months or so.

I have read that it has to be downloaded and register by the end of February.

Not sure if that is the case or not.

SillBill

I use this with W/8 and it makes a big difference.

http://www.classicshell.net/

That makes it usable for me anyway.Otherwise I would have reverted back to W/7.

Now why Microsoft cannot do that I don't know it may have made W/8 a bit more appealing to there customers.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I keep getting phone calls asking me if there is a way to make W8 look like W7. There are freebies, but I'll stick to W7 for as long as I can (OK, I'm a Luddite!).

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e, the classicshell might make me change my mind!

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

From what I read of the T & C

You must purchase a qualifying Windows 7 PC between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013 to be eligible for this offer.

The last day to register and order your Windows 8 upgrade is 28 February 2013 this does not relate to the installation or activation of Win8.

If you registering/ordering Win8 on the 28/02/13 late evening you would have to wait for the confirmation email activation number and the link to download the file which could take a few minutes/hours and may even be the next day.

I cannot see an info saying you have to install and activate win8 by the 28/02/13

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

BRYNIT

I was thinking along those lines myself.If you buy it it is yours to do what you want with.Or it should be anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...