We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W8 Upgrade for GBP 14.99

SillBill
Resolved

Likes # 0

Since I bought a new desktop in December with (my preferred OS) W7 preinstalled I took the option to register for the £14.99 upgrade to W8 particularly because it did not need to be installed on the new Comp. but could be installed on any computer with a legitimate copy of Windows. Now I read that it has to be downloaded to the machine on which you wish to run it but I don't really want to run it on either at present.

My question is, is this an ISO file download of 2GB which can be burned to a DVD for later installation or can it only be run and installed when downloaded?

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Done the same at the beginning of December if my memory serves me right but it was £24.99 at the time. Ran the upgrade advisor on one laptop, bought it and downloaded it as an ISO on the same laptop, used Microsoft's USB DVD Download tool to transfer it to an 8gig stick and then did a clean install on another laptop. The key is supplied at the time of purchase. I have to agree though, MS's terms seem a little ambiguous to say the least.

I bought it direct from the MS UK online store, not sure if that makes a difference.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

alanrwood, maybe you could post a step-by-step guide of what and how, seems that is what is being asked for, and will be useful information for anyone reading this thread.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ lotvic I was about to ask for the same info! although xox101 makes it clearer apart from what is Microsoft's USB DVD Download tool?!

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi SillBill

Re your earlier post, Yes that is exactly what happened.

Hi lotvic

Just follow the instructions. Can't remember all the details as I did this the first week that Win 8 was released. Memory not so good in 8th decade.

I think that someone else made a detailed post some time back but it might have been on another forum as I was asking the same question.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Found the Microsoft USB DVD Tool on the MS Store site but it appears to be for W7 only.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Can't really see any reason to Upgrade after reading reviews, think I'll stick with W7!

Thanks for all replies!

Like this post  
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi SillBill

That was what I decided for the moment but at £14.99 it seemed to be a worthwhile risk in investment just in case.

Alan

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

I may regret passing on it IF I ever get a Touchscreen Monitor!

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

You can install on a machine other than the one you download it to. This is an upgrade install, so whatever machine it is installed on must have XP, Vista or 7 on it already. The machine it is downloaded must also have XP, Vista or 7 on it already.

After the download completes you are given 3 options:

• Install now
  • Install by creating media
  • Install later from desktop

To create a DVD (or Flash drive) choose the 2nd option. The 1st option installs immediately. The 3rd option leaves the download on the machine with a link on the desktop to install later.

There also other tolls you can use to create a DVD, see: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4198545/missing-iso---usb-media-option-for-win8-download-on-xp-machine/

NOTE: If you download on a 32 bit machine you will only get 32 bit version. Likewise if you download on a 64 bit machine you will only get 64 bit version. If you want to have both versions you will need to order a physical DVD as part of the process (£8.99 + £3.49 P&P).

I think the general offer (available for any upgrade from XP, Vista or 7) at £24.99 is available until 31-Jan-13. I believe the reference to 28-Feb-13 in Jock1e's link above is indicating that the USD14.99 offer is available for recently purchased Win7 machines (in the US) at that price until 28-Feb-13. Personally I would do it all by 31-Jan-13 to avoid any ambiguity issues (at GBP14.99, if available to you).

I'm pretty certain you can install at any time in the future. I.e. you are not restricted as to when you install, only when you purchase the upgrade

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Batch, thanks for that, I'd been considering getting the general offer for future use but hadn't got round to deciding.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia