We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W8 Upgrade for GBP 14.99

SillBill
Resolved

Likes # 0

Since I bought a new desktop in December with (my preferred OS) W7 preinstalled I took the option to register for the £14.99 upgrade to W8 particularly because it did not need to be installed on the new Comp. but could be installed on any computer with a legitimate copy of Windows. Now I read that it has to be downloaded to the machine on which you wish to run it but I don't really want to run it on either at present.

My question is, is this an ISO file download of 2GB which can be burned to a DVD for later installation or can it only be run and installed when downloaded?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

It can be run on any machine provided it qualifies.

Yes it is an iso file and you need to D/L either the 32 or 64 bit version. Can't D/L both.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

It can be run on any machine provided it qualifies.

Yes it is an iso file and you need to D/L either the 32 or 64 bit version. Can't D/L both.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

As far as I know you have only got till the end of the month to download and register it.

I may be wrong but that is what I have read about it or I would have gone for it as well.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB/Home/ProgramInfo seems to answer your queries although it doesn't mention .iso specifically it does say you can create a dvd so I would presume the files come with instructions to make the .exe into a bootable dvd if .iso is not a choice.

Offer Redemption

Eligible customers must register for the Windows Upgrade Offer through this website by 28 February 2013.

After customer registration and Microsoft validation, customers will receive a registration confirmation email.

Shortly after successful registration, customers will receive an email with a promotion code and instructions for purchasing and downloading the software. The promotion code can be redeemed during the upgrade ordering process to receive the promotional price.

Customers will be able to purchase a downloadable version of Windows 8 Pro. An optional installation DVD is available for an additional fee, plus shipping and any applicable taxes or duties. Customers can also choose to create their own installation media on DVD or USB media after downloading Windows 8.

This offer requires internet connectivity for registering and ordering

Upgrade Software

Each upgrade license will apply to only one PC and may only be installed on PCs with a valid base license to a qualifying operating system (i.e., Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows 7).

While the offer will be limited to eligible customers who purchase a qualified PC, the upgrade may be installed on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying operating system (see Windows 8 System Requirements). Customers should visit their PC manufacturer’s website for more information on how to upgrade their PC to Windows 8, including updated software and drivers.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Has to be downloaded and registered by the 28th February according to this.

register by 28th february

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe I should have added when you download the files you save them to a folder on your pc, you do not choose to run the upgrade install from the internet.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

alanrwood thanks I know that it can be loaded on to any qualifying machine, but I don't want to load it now I just want to know if I can burn it without installing it. Microsoft are pretty ambiguous, they say it has to be downloaded using Upgrade Adviser onto the machine that you want to run it on.

@Jock1e - the cut-off dates are End Jan to Order and 28th February to download/install.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ lotvic "Maybe I should have added when you download the files you save them to a folder on your pc, you do not choose to run the upgrade install from the internet."

That's the bit I wanted to know, that I can create an installation disc without actually installing the OS. Thanks.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I have done exactly what you want to do. I have the DVD Disk in my hand now and I have not installed it on any machine so far

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ alanrwood so you ordered and paid for the download and did you get an ISO file to burn to DVD? did they also supply the key for the installation?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer