We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mouse and Keyboard go to sleep

bazza11

Likes # 0

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 destop running Vista Home Premium. I have a Dell wireless mouse and keyboard which share the same USB dongle and they have started to switch off after about 20 minutes inactivity. The only way to switch them back on is to unpluge the dongle and reinsert it. It doesn't matter what USB socket I use - all the other bits plugged in (printer,webcam,external hard drive)still work. If I plug in a spare Microsoft wireless mouse it doesn't go to sleep; and if I connect the offending keyboard and mouse into my laptop they continue to work forevever. I'm stumped. Can you please help? Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

In Device manager right click the HId device(dongle)

select properties - power tab - untick "Allow the computer to switch of this device..."

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

check the software for keyboard and mouse, it may have a sleep mode in it

Like this post
bazza11

Likes # 0

TRIED THESE. DEVICES WERE ALREADY SWITCHED TO "ALLOW DEVICE TO WAKE UP COMPUTER". STILL HOPEFUL, THANKS.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not "allow to wake up"

untick "Allow computer to switch off..."

Like this post
bazza11

Likes # 0

This box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" was already unticked, and I have now unticked the other box too. No joy, but many thanks for getting back to me.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ bazza11

I think you DO want to have "ALLOW DEVICE TO WAKE UP COMPUTER" enabled!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks