We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Skype from Crete is great except to England

johnincrete
Resolved

Likes # 0

I use Skype regularly to South Africa (video call), Nigeria (to a mobile)and to my elderly sisters on UK landlines as well as Greek internal calls to landlines and mobiles. All calls are excellent except those to UK. I can hear OK but the recievers get faint sound and lots of echo that makes conversation impossible. It's been like this for several months. Any ideas how to get better UK service?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With Skype you can get indicators of the quality of the call during it. This should tell you where the problem may lie but I suspect that the UK end may be suffering from poor broadband speed and below par line quality. They may well get the same problems with whoever they call.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have Skyped albeit not often, from the UK with Mexico, San Francisco and New York with no problems.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I have received phone calls from Skype from Lanzarote and echo from the phone was over the top and not nice to listen to.

So may well be a Uk problem.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

UK is usually ok. I use Skype on a fairly regular basis. In my experience it depends greatly on the quality/speed of the connection at either or both ends.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I don't have Skype but my brother in law uses it to phone my house phone.He has to pay so much for the calls but not a lot I would not think.

So just thinking it cannot be a speed thing here.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I only use the free part of Skype for overseas calls to another Skype user. That certainly does depend on the connection quality and to some extent on the device receiving it eg I have had a few problems from a tablet using wifi in the Canary Islands with the wifi being from a hotel and possibly shared broadband.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September