We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Latest updates, W7 hangs on restart.

radi8or
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Installed the latest updates this morning no problem until I had to restart, at the "Preparing to configure Windows" bit it just sat there with the timer circle going round.

I left it for over half an hour as there was 15 updates but in the end had to reboot with the W7 disc to get to system restore.

Tried reinstalling the updates, same thing again.

Tried installing one at a time but the only ones that would install were ones that I didn't have to restart, got stuck "configuring" as soon as I had to restart.

Running a dual boot W7Pro/W8Pro with 2 SSD drives, updates installed no problem on W8 also no problem on my netbook running W7.

Not had any problems before with updates, at a bit of a loss what it might be, any help appreciated.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I did the updates and they include 2 of the .Net updates which take a notorious amount of time to complete.Can you do a restore and try again one at a time.

Like this post
radi8or

Likes # 0

Hi Alan,

Thanks for response, I did notice that quite a few were .Net updates of some kind, I did try them one at a time whether I gave each enough time i'm not sure will give it another go.

Cheers :0))

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

A few people having problems with this one. KB2785094

I think it was mainly W/8 users that were having problems with it not sure about W/7.

It did install Ok for me but some security programs were stopping it running with a false positive for a Virus.

Like this post
radi8or

Likes # 0

Hi all,

An update on this, sorted.

Jock1e read your response, thank you, and had read that a couple of security programs, namely Avast and Eset after being disabled had cured the problem.

I have been running a beta of Eset Smart Security 6 for a bit so disabled it, and tried an update, no change still hung, which made sense because it would have restarted.

I decided before I uninstalled Eset to ditch the beta and go back to v5, bingo, within 15 mins all updates installed and everything working.

Strangely all updates worked no problem on W8 running the beta of ESET.

Thanks to all my readers and respondents.

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I use Eset smart 5 and had no problems with the updates on W/8 I suppose the beta version should be more advance that the normal version. I believe they will be using the full version V6 by March or sooner.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...