We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's time to update Messenger to Skype!

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Got this e-mail message this morning.

I no longer use messenger is it advantageous to start using Skpe or is it not needed.

On 15th March 2013 we are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together. Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips. You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet.

Update Now space

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

There is at the moment an issue regarding upgrading to skype. Once you have upgraded all your Messenger friends will only be able to contact you via Skype and visa vera.

I would wait untill it is necessary to move over to Skype.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Once you have upgraded all your Messenger friends will only be able to contact you via Skype

But if Messenger is being retired Globally, all your friends will also have to change - most likely to Skype.

I have never used Messenger, only ever used Skype, which IMHO is great!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok thanks for the advice.

If I start using Skype would it be better to use a different e-mail address or is your normal e-mail address safe.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Speaking of Skype (and sorry to hijack the thread, but the question isn't really worth its own thread...) Last night, our ISP lost its Domain Name Servers. However, despite us being unable to access any web sites, Skype continued to function. How can that be? Can anyone explain in layman's terms?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton - Skype's servers could still be accessed.

Jock1e - no need to change unless you want to.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My last post to Jock1e could be misread. Suggest change to Skype now but no need to change e-mail address unless you want to.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Ok thanks for that.I had to remove one e-mail address recently because of spam messages.

Just did not want the same thing to happen again.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten