We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB NAS adapters, any good?

Whitey012001

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm looking at setting up a basic NAS for home use. My kids now have a couple of computers and we need to share videos and iTunes music. All of this is stored on a 1TB USB hard drive, thought he simplest solution was to buy a USB NAS adapter, these can be brought for around £20 of eBay.

My question is, how good are these? Are they man enough for light use, for example a user accessing/streaming files at the same time as somebody accessing music for iTunes?

I know you can buy a cheap ZyXEL nas without a drive for £35 off ebuyer, would it be better to get one of these? I do have a 150gb spare HD that I could use in the meantime.

Any ideas and views greatly appreciated.

Regards

Neil

Like this post
Whitey012001

Likes # 0

Also thought the zyxel wold be more power efficient?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you are talking about Downloading from the Net, main thing for speed is your internet provider, come connection. then start thinking about storage

Like this post
Whitey012001

Likes # 0

I was thinking more about the speed on my home network.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...