We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with new Graphics Card

steve587

Likes # 0

I attempted to install 2GB AMD Radeon 7870 graphics card in my system, but it would not boot, with no display of anything on my monitor (I used the HDMI output).

Additionally,I also got it tried in another PC with exactly the same result (PC would not boot).

My system is;-

M/Board Asus PN5–E SLI

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6800 (3.3 GHz)

RAM 3Gb

O/S 32 bit Vista

Power Supply 800W – connected to card with 2 dedicated 6-pin power connectors (not Molex adaptors).

Current Graphics card NVidia 460 1GB (re-installed after failure of AMD7870 with no problems).

Is this a problem due to the memory limitations of Vista, with the 2GB of the new card putting total system memory over the 4GB limit of Vista??

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Fyi, I've recently had an excellent experience with ViBox (AMD quad core, 8GB, 1TB, GTX560 for just over £400, delivered in five days - just before Christmas! Very responsive and professional.) They're big on eBay, but their prices direct through their web site may be better.

Like this post
steve587

Likes # 0

Not sure I can claim under distance selling for something I claimed wouln't work. I'm looking at Palicomp where I can get an equally specified PC for much less than Aria (around £700, with a discount - I don't know how much yet, need to talk to their sales - for removing the specified graphics card). So I'm waiting for further comment from Aria, but will probably get them to send card back and I'll try it into the Palicomp system, which should prove things. I don't know the spec of the second PC the card was tried in, so am still thinking there may have been an incompatibility issue,

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Something does not have to be broken to claim under the Distance selling Regulations, as long as you have informed where you bought it that you do not want it. Have a read. But the consensus is that if you have tried this card on two computers and you had it wired correctly (power)and that the power was sufficient to power the card then it would seem it is faulty.

I notice you say you do not know the spec of the other PC it was tried in,were you not there?id you try another cable perhaps DVI and did you tell Aria that you were using the HDMI connection?

What happens if you buy the Palicomp PC and the card still does not work?

Like this post
steve587

Likes # 0

I'll have a look at the distance selling info. A friend tried the card at his work, so I only had his feedback. I didn't try a different output to the card and yes I informed Aria that I used HDMI.I'm thinking that if the card still doesn't work in a high spec PC, then I've got a lot more to go back to Aria with. From a cost point of view, the saving on going with Palicomp compared to Aria - asking them to fit this card - is a better bet, although I will obviously have a protracted process to go through with Aria if that happens. I'm still waiting for their response after I fedback on receiving their opinion that the card worked fine.

Like this post
steve587

Likes # 0

Just to update on this post - I decided to upgrade fully by purchasing a new PC (minus graphics card) with Cyberpower, who are local to me. After I discussed my current situation with one of their staff, they thought it likely that the cheap brand power supply (Atrix), although rated at 800W, was the likely problem, but I decided it was time to upgrade anyway - i5-3750K overclocked; Corair H60 cooling; 2TB HDD; 128GB SSD; 750 Corsair PSU; 8GB 16000 RAM; Corsair Carbide 300R case - and asked them to install the Radeon card. Happy with the system, if a bit pricier (£800) than I could have got elsewhere, but I had the piece of mind of them installing the graphics card and running the whole system and as they're local, I have easy access for any (hopefully none!!) returns/warranty issues.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks