We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with new Graphics Card

steve587

Likes # 0

I attempted to install 2GB AMD Radeon 7870 graphics card in my system, but it would not boot, with no display of anything on my monitor (I used the HDMI output).

Additionally,I also got it tried in another PC with exactly the same result (PC would not boot).

My system is;-

M/Board Asus PN5–E SLI

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6800 (3.3 GHz)

RAM 3Gb

O/S 32 bit Vista

Power Supply 800W – connected to card with 2 dedicated 6-pin power connectors (not Molex adaptors).

Current Graphics card NVidia 460 1GB (re-installed after failure of AMD7870 with no problems).

Is this a problem due to the memory limitations of Vista, with the 2GB of the new card putting total system memory over the 4GB limit of Vista??

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

No it has nothing to do with memory. If the problem occurred on two PC's then I suggest you might well have a faulty graphics card.

Like this post
steve587

Likes # 0

I'd assumed that myself and sent it back under RMA to Aria, who have now come back and said they've tested it and its OK!!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

So have you got the card back from Aria?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Unfortunately not helping your current predicament - but you have a huge mismatch there between your processor and your graphics card. I don't think you'll ever realise the full potential of the 7870 by teaming it with a dual core CPU: your Core2 Duo will become a significant bottleneck. The received wisdom these days, it seems to me, is that once you go above about £100 for a graphics card, you need a quad core CPU (minimum) clocked at 3.5GHz or better...

A thought just occurred to me, though (although I'm sure you've covered this): I'd guess that the 7870 may well need an additional power feed (which, again at a guess, the GTX460 didn't need). If that's the case - have you connected it up?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Oops - I see you did mention that you had it connected... :-(

Like this post
steve587

Likes # 0

Chronos, I haven't asked Aria to return the card yet, fed them back some additional info and awaiting reply. Even if I get card back, I'm not sure what I'll do - my PC wouldn't boot - the card was powering up O.K. (at least I could tell the fan was operational) - so what else would I do? Any suggestion?? I've had memory problems in the past with putting 4Gb of RAM in - I think it was blue screen, rather than not booting - which made me think this was the problem here. So what if I removed a 1GB stick of RAM and tried the card??

However, I had been considering a whole system upgrade anyway, but went for the card-only option initially. So I'm thinking of getting a new system from Aria and telling them to put the card I sent to them in it, instead of the one specified, with a price adjustment, but its stil an expensive option - £800+ instead of just £180 for the card. So this goes some way to answering Ian's comment.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You could build yourself one for less than £880 + could you post a link to the Aria PC?

Back to your problem even though your card is overpowered for your current system this should not effect the PC booting. And also strange that it happened on another PC.

I am going to do a little research and I'll get back to you.

Like this post
steve587

Likes # 0

Thanks, Chronos, here's the link

http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming+Range/Gamer/Gladiator+FirePower+i5-3570K+4.40GHz+Ivy+Bridge+OC+Gaming+PC+?productId=52530

I realise I may be able to do a self-build, and also that there are potentially other PC firms who may be able to provide something similar for less price than Aria,however, I'm wanting to put the onus back on Aria by getting the card I sent back put into a system.

Like this post
steve587

Likes # 0

Thanks, Chronos, here's the link

http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming+Range/Gamer/Gladiator+FirePower+i5-3570K+4.40GHz+Ivy+Bridge+OC+Gaming+PC+?productId=52530

I realise I may be able to do a self-build, and also that there are potentially other PC firms who may be able to provide something similar for less price than Aria,however, I'm wanting to put the onus back on Aria by getting the card I sent back put into a system.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Hi again,I have been asking around and Aria can be a bit of a pain when it comes to returning faulty items. The fact that it did not work in two PC's would suggest that the card is faulty. I would keep pushing it. If not get your money back as you will be covered under the distance selling regulations.

Having a look at your link it ain't worth a grand. As Ian in Northampton pointed out the GPU is far to overpowered for your current set up and you would not see that much benefit. So it's build your own, or buy. Have a look at ChillBlast and Dino PC. But it does depend on your budget of course.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room