We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't figure out the problem

abf36

Likes # 0

Something is seriously wrong with my PC. It doesn't POST anymore. This problem is somewhat intermittent.

When I press the power button I hear a click (relay) but nothing happens. There is a light on the motherboard (that is on).

The reason I say this is intermittent is because I stripped everything out and put it back together and it worked again for about a week. This has happened a couple of times now. But now it won't come back at all.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any loose connections etc. I've done pretty much everything I can think of including:

1. power reset (holding for 30 secs)
  2. took out the RAM and powered up to hear beeps
  3. stripped and reassembled
  4. changed CMOS battery

I dont know anything else to try.

I suspect the motherboard is faulty but I cant be 100% sure which is why I need some help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

first job would be to substitute the PSU and retry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Might be a faulty power button (sticking or not making contact) I've got an old pc that does that, button works fine for a while then suddenly at some switch ons, pc appears dead - (apart from light on motherboard which only shows mains power is getting through) nothing else happens.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July