We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Restoring hard drive with disk image

GraveMind

Likes # 0

Recently, I had a problem with my samsung laptop's screen. Samsung said they would fix it, free of charge, but I was told that the hard drive would be wiped, before they installed a fresh copy of windows 7 and shipped it back to me. I've been looking into ways of keeping all my data and programs, as I've spent a lot of time customizing the way my Windows 7 looks.

I got a copy of acronis true image, and created a complete disk image of my hard drive, and stored it on an external hard drive. (I have also backed up the data separately, just in case)

My question is, when I get my laptop back, will it be as simple as installing acronis again and restoring the image, or is there something i've missed out?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

From my experience with this software, YES!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Before you restore your laptop with your custom backup image, make sure you save the new hard drive's contents ie. when you switch on / boot up your repaired laptop, for the first time ... just in case you hit a snag!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Good advice there from Aitchbee, first thing to do is make an image of the new harddrive.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The one and only time I needed to restore from an acronis image took 20 mins to having my machine exactly as it was before the problem.

Boot with the rescue media (CD) point it to the image file and sit back and wait until it finishes the restore, as simple as that.

But agree with Aitchbee make a new image of the new drive (make sure the image has a different title than your old one).

Like this post
GraveMind

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice

I created a rescue CD just in case, and when I get it back, I'll be sure to create an image of the new install.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings