We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I install a programme without the administrative rights?

pearl_m

Likes # 0

Hello, I want to install a program on my work's laptop, it's a pdf to word coverter software and I need that program in order to work on the pdf's, I take just the points I need, it saves me a lot of time and energy and I cannot directly copy from pdf because there is a problem with character encoding. The thing is that I'm not an administrator, so I cannot install any software on that pc. The administrative rights are on cmd. Is there any way to work around that? To keep the password intact and install the software?

Thank you very much for your help, Mikaela

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

These rights are in place to ensure that staff do not install unauthorised software. We on this forum would not, even if we could, advise how to breach corparate IT policies. The only way you can get this software onto your laptop would be with the authority of your employers whose IT staff would then install the software for you. You should explain to your IT manager hwy you require the software and they would then either install or advise you of the correct alternative within the corporate policy.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

xania's advice is right on the button - don't try to get around your IT department's security protocols and install software yourself. We certainly will not help anyone to do that.

If your need for this software is connected with your work, surely your IT people will be only too happy to oblige?

Like this post
pearl_m

Likes # 0

Hello, thank you all very much for your responses, I'm sorry I didn't see that there was a reply to this topic. OK I won't get around IT protocols, I copy the pdf contents through my other pc, extra work but it's not a problem since you advice me not to intervene with their protocols. Thank you again for your help.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Maybe I am missing the point, however as these files are on your Employers Computer, you have no right to transfer them to a device of your own, without the authorisation of your line manager, however good your reasons.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its when it all goes wrong, just because you wanted to do your own thing, Who will pick up the pieces

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I will say it again. Go to you IT department and tell them your problem. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT YOUR COMPANY POLICY IN ANY WAY

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014