We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connection to Internet

rensen

Likes # 0

I posed this in general forum and was advised maybe best to try helproom. I have just purchased my laptop which has windows 8 on it. Have a wireless router but it connected to Internet briefly and then disconnected me and I cannot get back.

Details: HP G6-2244SA EE2 ISP: Worldwide Group - have not been able to help Wirelss router through NetGear wireless 150 DSL

Can you please help?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If it is your wireless signal you see have clicked on it or double clicked it to let you add your password details.If correct password it should connect to it.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Sorry to see that nothing's yet worked rensen.

By the way, is your model the Netgear DGN1000 as mentioned by Chronos earlier?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Any chance you could post a screen-shot of the wireless page of your router? Should look something like this.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

thuhai9 Spam.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Is this possibly a WAP/WEP issue? I've skimmed the previous posts, and this doesn't seem to have come up. When entering a WEP/WAP key, it's a) very easy to get 0 and O or l and 1 mixed up, for example, and b) in my experience, WAP/WEP passwords can also be case sensitive. Sorry if already covered/irrelevant.

Like this post
rensen

Likes # 0

Hi Secret Squirrel It is netgear 150 DSL

Like this post
rensen

Likes # 0

Hi Chronos 2 Have no idea how to post a screenshot o the wifi page of Netgear, sorry

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"It is netgear 150 DSL"

Thanks for that but that's not actually a model number. "150" just tells us that it's a half-speed wireless-N router.

Is this the router you bought your mum? If it is then have a close look at the customer reviews and you'll see that most customers gave it a score of just one star. I've had first-hand experience of this particular model too, and while the modem part of it works well, I found the wireless performance poor and unreliable as well.

There's probably something wrong with the Netgear as you have the same problem with your laptop too. It's also unlikely to be a wireless interference issue because you've tried two different channel numbers. If you can't find a permanent fix for it then the best thing you can do for your mum is to install and leave her with a router that's known to be a reliable performer - this is one that I can personally recommend. Compare its customer reviews with the Netgear.

Like this post
rensen

Likes # 0

Hi Secret Squirrel, my son now not here but will let him know. I did think Netgear was a reputable make but also I see that Amazon charge less as I paid £64.99 for the router. Thing is it was through my ISP, dont know if they will accept it back, not sure. They did also offer a Thomson when I was purchasing. Many thanks I will let my son know your comments and maybe change the router as I think we have tried absolutely everything now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more