We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connection to Internet

rensen

Likes # 0

I posed this in general forum and was advised maybe best to try helproom. I have just purchased my laptop which has windows 8 on it. Have a wireless router but it connected to Internet briefly and then disconnected me and I cannot get back.

Details: HP G6-2244SA EE2 ISP: Worldwide Group - have not been able to help Wirelss router through NetGear wireless 150 DSL

Can you please help?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe have a look in Services and scroll down to WLAN and make sure it is set to automatic and is running.

Do you have wireless switched on on the laptop.It is usually a slider button or a combination of FN F2 or something like that.

Does it show the network Icon on the right side of the Taskbar and have you right clicked it and clicked on troubleshooter.

And did you try device manager,network adapters. and see if you had a wireless connection on there.I believe there should be 2 connections one for Lan and the other for wireless.

Like this post
rensen

Likes # 0

Hi Network adapter has wifi, network and family controller. I have gone to networks and trouble shooter but did not come up with solution.
I have a button at top of keypad that shows a blue light for flightmode off so guess that is the wireless switch?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Have you tried it with an Ethernet (wired)connection?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure what flightmode is.On a phone you would use that if flying.

If you just purchased the laptop you should have got a book with it telling you all of the functions.

Not got a button on it that looks like a radio signal.maybe try that if you have.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

See if there is a light on F12 if not press F12 and see if that turns the wireless on.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If that does not work press the Fn button and F12 together and see if that starts it.

Fn button should be near the bottom left of keyboard.

Like this post
rensen

Likes # 0

Hi,

Sorry my mum is not technical and I am just visting for a short while

Basically the router works fine on a direct connection but not wirelessly. the router was tested and worked fine at the supplier before being sent out. An IT guy came out over xmas and it worked for a day and then dropped again. The router is in the conservatory extension which is brick and has glass windows but has a small metal framework at the top where the blinds hang down from. Could this be an issue? The laptop is fine and all wireless settings are on. I have tried my laptop and another which I use all round the UK and connect and my laptop couldnt connect wirelessly either although again worked on a direct ethernet connection

Thanks for your help

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"The laptop is fine and all wireless settings are on. I have tried my laptop and another which I use all round the UK and connect and my laptop couldnt connect wirelessly either."

When you say it couldn't connect, what happens exactly? Do you see the Netgear router's name in the list of available wireless networks? If you get any error messages then let us know what they are in full.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I take it you tried the simple method of turning the Router off for 10 seconds then on again.

Lets try again you must have a modem so switch the modem of and then switch the router off.Wait 10 seconds and turn the modem back on wait for a minute and turn the Router back on.

That helps in some cases so worth a try.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

but has a small metal framework at the top where the blinds hang down from. Could this be an issue?

No I do not think so.

I am hopefully right but you say that another laptop also does not connect wirelessly,I would suggest that you need to look at your router settings which means opening your router browser page.

Is this your router? You will need to type this http://www.routerlogin.net in your browser then enter the password to get to your routers settings.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features