We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best e-mail provider that notifies when new email arrives

bturner

Likes # 0

I have had a Hotmail account for over 10 years but I think someone has hacked into the account and I cannot get in now.

I have set up a gmail account temporarily but what I liked about hotmail was if I had the windows live messenger open I knew as soon as a new email arrived which is important for my work.

Can anyone recommend another safe email provider that notifies you when a new email arrives?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I use Hotmail with Incredimail.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You could try resetting your password from the sign in page ">http://mail.live.com/default.aspx&lc=2057&id=64855&mkt=en-gb&cbcxt=mai&snsc=1">CLICK HERE I think this will only work if you supplied a second email address. Or you could set up a new Microsoft hotmail or live account.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Third time CLICK HERE

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies.

I do like Hotmail and until now have never had a problem with security.

I am not keen on gmail as it does not alert you when new emails arrive, also how would I know if someone else is signed into gmail.

With Windows live messenger you can see if someone else is signed into the account.

What puts me off though is if you have a problem there is no telephone number to call for help. I did find a number but they wont help because hotmail is a free service.

I have actually managed to reset my password but I am still being blocked, mine is the last post on page 1, it shows what I have already done.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/liveid-signin/keep-being-told-im-not-providing-sufficient/ac7c3b5b-0519-4c6f-b8f8-b182a5c2ffd5?page=1

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

bturner

You appear to be talking at crossed-purposes??

Incredimail is not gmail. Windows Live Messenger is not Windows Live Mail!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - Incredimail lets you know when new mail arrives, both Audibly and Visibly.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

I apologise for the confusion, I was using Windows Live Messenger to see when new emails arrived.

I am not familiar with Incredimail, does it have a telephone contact number should this problem arise where my account is hacked and blocked? Am I less likely to get hacked with Incredimail than with Hotmail?

Was I just unlucky getting hacked after over 10 years with hotmail? If so I could open another Hotmail account.

The gmail account I created yesterday is just until I find out which one is least likely to get hacked and has telephone customer support should it happen.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have used Gmail for many years although I have a Hotmail address also, but I have never liked the customer support associated with Microsoft companies,call them what you will. I had my Xbox live account hacked and as it uses hotmail address I had to change passwords ETC but what has happened is I have not got access to a game because it is tied to another account the one that was hacked. Customer support were not remotely interested and advised I buy another copy of the game.Yeah right.

You can use Gmail notifier which will pop up and tell you if an email has arrived.

Also Gmail will allow you pull mail from 5 other addresses, use your mobile number as a means of security, go into settings and have a look.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I think, by the way, that it's a little unreasonable to expect telephone support - any kind of support, in fact - for a free product/service... It's hard enough to get support for something you've paid for.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert