We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best e-mail provider that notifies when new email arrives

bturner

Likes # 0

I have had a Hotmail account for over 10 years but I think someone has hacked into the account and I cannot get in now.

I have set up a gmail account temporarily but what I liked about hotmail was if I had the windows live messenger open I knew as soon as a new email arrived which is important for my work.

Can anyone recommend another safe email provider that notifies you when a new email arrives?

Like this post
dangerus1

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd, thanks for the link, I didn't know about Notifier. I am waiting for a pretty important email so it will be handy for me.

Installed and tested from my Hotmail address, it works great.

Like this post
dangerus1

Likes # 0

Sorry if I seem to be taking this thread over.

I installed Notifier and it worked OK, I shut down for the night and when I started up again this am it wasn't there.

Luckily I had saved the file and was able to run it again. Will I have to run it again every time I reboot?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I use hotmail - now Windows Live Mail, amongst others, and I use Thunderbird to "collect them" - Thunderbird gives a popup message to show when there are new mails and leaves a mail icon in the taskbar.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

But as far as I am aware Windows live messenger is the only one that lets you know if you are signed in at more than one place.

This is what alerted me that something was wrong when I signed out from everywhere and signed in again but was still signed in at 2 places.

Gmail does let you know this, but maybe it is harder to hack into.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Your original post asked "Can anyone recommend another safe email provider that notifies you when a new email arrives?" - I was responding to this - it will notify you of e-mails received in all accounts included. You do not have to go to those individual accounts and sign in.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Morning btburner in answer to your question about Gmail notifier start up with Windows. I actually do not use it so i have installed it on one of my PC's and I have found that Gmail notifier plus is probably not the one you want. Gmail notifier plus is a third party app and not made by Google.

Use this instead.Google when you click on Gmail notifier for PC users another box will open which contains a patch,so follow the instructions.

So get rid of Plus.

Download Google Notifier. Install.

Download the patch. Install.

Restart Gmail notifier and you will find that it will start on boot up.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

You are right difarn and I did not mean to offend you, thanks for your answers. It's just that since posting this thread I have been thinking that I do like to know if anyone else is signed into my account.

Thanks Chronos the 2nd, I have followed the instructions and it is working fine letting me know when gmail arrives audibly and with a pop up box.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Bturner, Gmail accounts, along with Yahoo, also get hacked into a lot nowadays so there's no guarantee that simply switching e-mail providers will prevent this from happening again. However, here's what you can do to keep your account details safe:

1) Create a "strong" password. The password should be at least nine characters in length and be made up of upper-case and lower-case letters and at least two numbers. The password should never be a word that can be found in any dictionary, be a person's name, or your phone number or date of birth etc.

2) Only enter your e-mail address and password on websites that you know belong to your e-mail provider. The best advice is to type the address in manually and then you'll always know you're in the right place.

3) If you get an e-mail from a contact of yours that says something along the lines of "click here to view the message", and it then asks you for your login details, do not proceed as it's a common scam to harvest e-mail addresses and passwords.

4) Make sure that the answer to your account's "security question" is not something that someone who knows you can guess easily.

If really do want to stick with Hotmail then do so but follow the advice above and it's unlikely your account will get hacked into again.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Incredimail use to provide a good notification response, but a year or so back there was a reported number of problems with this product. I took it off my computers, and possibly this thread is now a reminder to try that product out again?.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have been using Incredimail for years, with no real problems, very satisfied with it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia