We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows not saving my settings for welcome screen and program permissions

theDarkness

Likes # 0

In vista, unticking 'always ask before opening this file' for programs that dont always state their publisher, still gives the same query. I know I can stop windows asking me if I am sure I want to run any program, via internet security (control panel>internet options>security>custom level>launching applications and unsafe files) but I will receive warnings thereafter, mainly in the taskbar. Is there a way to remove the warnings-similar to disabling UAC, ms like to state what I am missing out on, lol.

Also, the windows welcome screen for some users (even admin) wont disappear, if I untick so it doesnt show up on the next boot. Some programs that run on startup and show in the taskbar (eg bitmeter), wont minimize on startup for all users either.

Windows seemingly doesnt want to save settings. The system is clean, so any ideas? I am running avast,za,with the occasional ccleaner (I never use its registry cleaner). Thanks for any info!

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Darkness

I hear what you're saying about..."but I will receive warnings thereafter, mainly in the taskbar" I turned off the 'always ask before opening' on my wife's Vista laptop. after that, when you first switch on you get the prompt on the 'Task Bar' to turn it back on. But once you've clicked it off, you don't get anymore prompts until you either reboot or turn off and on again.

However, I will keep and eye on this thread, even though she only has to click it off once per session. It would be good not to have to do it at all. Who knows, someone might know something, but my guess is they won't.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Launch MSCONFIG by from the Run menu.

Click on the Tools tab. Scroll down till you find "Disable UAC" . Click on that line.

Press the Launch button.

A CMD window will open. When the command is done, you can close the window.

Close MSCONFIG. You need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.

or

Open Registry Editor. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Locate the following value (DWORD): EnableLUA and give it a value of 0.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I forgot that option of disablement for UAC, thanks. Disabling UAC doesnt help get rid of security alert 'are you sure' warnings though since they arent related. I imagine windows 7 or even 8 (?) are no different? Thats a good point in that 'are you sure' only appears once until the next boot, its not a major issue in getting rid of entirely, only out of interest, if it was possible to.

I believe why some tools arent starting up minimized in the taskbar (as they were before previous shutdowns) may be because their settings may only be saved for the user account that the programs were installed with, but thats just a guess. All I can think of is trying is searching for settings files and adding them to another accounts specific location for these programs, if they exist.

The welcome screen appearing on every start up for one particular user is the most annoying problem. I could try saving all documents and deleting/recreating that account, under a different name or not, but thats a bit of a hassle just to remove a mere welcome screen pop up. If I try it, I will post back the outcome. Thanks :)

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

update- My issue with programs not minimizing in the taskbar, and welcome screen not disappearing after unchecking, have been solved. I found one website stating that windows has trouble (or simply doesnt) turn off the welcome screen for any guest account.

The user account with both the above problems is administrator, but.. it used to be a guest account! So what does it not have, unlike the rest? I realized there was no password set for this admin account. By setting a password, windows is now saving all my settings. So it would seem windows was not treating the account as it should (saving all settings for windows-whether it was the welcome screen or taskbar) until a password had been created. A bit of a flaw there? :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...