We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 & XP display question

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, my preferred desktop background is light coloured. Is there a way on changing the text below the screen icons from white to something darker as it would be easier to see. I have looked but can't find an option for this.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

That is not the title I put in. It has added amp; for some reason.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Theoretically you can't change them.

The Desktop icon fonts are dynamic and will show white on dark backgrounds and change to white with a black shadow effect on a light background.

However

Go to CONTROL PANEL and in the "search control panel" bar at the top type in "COLOR SCHEME"

then click on the CHANGE WINDOWS COLORS AND METRICS that pops up in the list DESKTOP will automatically come up and, the default color of the background is black therefore making the font of the icons white.

If you turn the color to white the font will now be black.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat, sounds clever, I am trying to do in XP and not getting very far, is this workaround for Win7 only?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

In XP I am going to control panel, clicking the search icon (magnifying glass)and then typing COLOR SCHEME into the address bar then press the go button but nothing happens at first and then I get a message "page cannot be displayed" I would seem I am doing something fundamentally wrong.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I am going to mark this as resolved and do a new post without the confusing title which was not what I put in the first place, something changed it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

bumpkin, I think you will have to type the word: and and not use & (uppercase 7) I think the thread titles can't cope with display of the 'funny characters' due to the formatting of text pca are using.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes for windows 7

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

lotvic

Funny how it displays the & AND the abbreviation amp for ampersand in the title innit?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

SillBill

Hilarious innit

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

OK, that explains the daft title, I was trying to do it using XP. Will try it Mon in win7. Sillbill is a bit on a comedian int e.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert