We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive unreadable

peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

I am after some help. I have reached the limit of my knowledge and I'm hoping there is someone who will help with a little of their experience. I have an old desktop that had a slave hard drive. I removed it when that operating system (XP) said it needed formatting before it could be used. It was perfect when I last used it two years ago. I ran Linux thinking that would pick it up with no success. I removed it along with the jumper and placed it in a hard drive carrier on a new PC. Same result. It does 'spin'. Next I used some hard drive rescue software. Sure enough all was there jpegs and all the programmes. When I tried to open -nothing. Whatever I try to use to view in, same result. All are differing sizes. Are there any options I could try? Has anyone successfully managed to gain a result? Thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What program did you use to access the drive?

Did it give you an option to copy the files to another drive?

and then open the copy.

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, Your name I recognise from having helped me in the past for which I thank you. I copied it to another H.D. and could see all the contents. The old drive used everything as 32bit and my new drive O.S. is 64bit. The programme I used could have been Stellar Phoenix windows recovery or Easeus date recovery. The reason I'm not sure as it was a couple of weeks ago and it took 18 hours to do. The files just look as normal windows files with no trace of the copying programme. Perhaps you could advise another programme? Hope this helps. I will forward any other information if needed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

So you have copied the files can see them as Jpgs etc. but they won't open?

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Yes that's correct. All different sizes as they were.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No error message etc. or access denied?

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Thanks for your continued help. within the normal looking folders there are the photographs displaying the 'Windows Photo Viewer' icon. This can be changed into anything to open the file. When opened the programme used displays the message-"Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo viewer doesn't support this format or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer'. Other programmes state they do not support the format." Hope this helps

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

I could send one of the images to you if you think that might help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tried opening in infranview or picasa?

Sounds like they are still corrupted

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Yes I have tried both of those. Do you think I should try again to recover the hard drive to see if it's more successful? I could try another type of software?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I usually use TestDisk to recover HDDs but if you have already found files Not looking hopeful

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added