We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Automatic updates? how do I??

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a new Sony vaio laptop and even though I have set in the control panel to have the automatic updates at 1200 hours each day, every time I log off, there is a little mark on the "shield" icon and there are ALWAYS lots of updates to install, this happens even if I log off and let all the updates install, and then log on again and within 5 minutes if I log off there are MORE updates to install!! I dont think it is installing them all properly, what should I do? I had this problem before on another computer but I cant remember how I fixed it? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

I had the same thing happen on a new desktop running W7 a couple of weeks ago, then I did a clean install of W7 on a laptop and it reacted similarly, I figured it was just the OS getting up to speed and just let it do its thing!

Like this post

Likes # 0

I have a funny feeling it isnt loading all the updates, I altered the time of the day from the default 1500 hours to 1200 hours (midday) and clicked "save" but it is still doing this with all the updates (even when I log off and then log on again and then log off within 5 minutes, so I cant see that there are more updates within 5 minutes of logging off and starting up again. Also there is a very pale Sony vaio page when the laptop starts up and when it shuts down and shows the updates being downloaded, I can hardly see the white text against the very pale blue/purple Sony background, I am sure I saw a page where this can be changed - do you know where I can find that? it needs to be changed to somthing much darker so the contrast of the white text shows up much better, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE - PS I havent even TRIED to sort out that rigmarole with the windows hoto viewer yet!! I think I have to un-install the windows essentials and start again, it takes up so much time and is SO FRUSTRATING when it doesnt change anything.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

IT SEEMS TO BE ok NOW SINCe I ticked the box to not receive updates for Microsoft products (the updates that would not install were all for Microsoft office/word programme which i dont have a certifed copy of on this computer) thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)