We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

computer keeps shutting down need some advice please

windsock

Likes # 0

Hi people needs some help and advice please, having problem with desktop shutting down. Started a week or so ago first thing that happened when it first shut down graphic’s card wouldn’t kick in so took graphics card out and used on board graphics which ran ok but as soon as I did anything that was cpu intensive it would shut down after a 10 minutes thought it might be over heating so took fan and heatsink off and replaced with new heatsink and fan with variable speed control ramped fan up to full speed but comp still shutting down using Everest home edition to monitor cpu and hard drive sensors at the moment they are reading cpu 33 degrees c 91 degrees f harddrve 42c 108f my comp specs are: Windows xp service pack3 CPU Type Dual Core Intel Pentium D 805, 2666 MHz (20 x 133) Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks ps sometimes when it shuts down it restarts its self then other times it will shut down but the power light stops on and only way i can restart it is if i disconnect the power cable from comp and leave for a few seconds to drain power then plug back in and press power button and it will restart.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Possible power supply unit problem, if the computer is switching off, then restarting after a delayed rest?.

What wattage is the PSU?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Shutting down is frequently CPU overheating, but yours is fine, so would agree with spuds. Have you another PSU to substitute?

Like this post
windsock

Likes # 0

thanks 4 your replies it is 120 watts pentium 4 psu model 550u

Like this post
Podracer

Likes # 0

I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago with a fairly new Hewlett Packard (with two separate hard discs). The first time it gave any sign of a problem, it also wiped all the data from both HDDs.

The symptoms settled down to irregular shutting down and instant re-starting, at random intervals, not always when the machine got hot. Sometimes it would happen after half an hour, and on other occasions it would work fine for six or eight hours. We tried various software and hardware configurations, disconnected peripherals etc, but the symptoms persisted.

To cut a long story short, after sending the computer back to HP under guarantee twice (and on one occasion a new power supply was fitted), the third and final resort was a new C-drive HDD, and that seemed to resolve the issue. I don't pretend to understand the technicalities, but the new HDD sorted the problem; I never got a satisfactory answer from HP exactly what was wrong with the HDD.

Like this post
Podracer

Likes # 0

I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago with a fairly new Hewlett Packard (with two separate hard discs). The first time it gave any sign of a problem, it also wiped all the data from both HDDs.

The symptoms settled down to irregular shutting down and instant re-starting, at random intervals, not always when the machine got hot. Sometimes it would happen after half an hour, and on other occasions it would work fine for six or eight hours. We tried various software and hardware configurations, disconnected peripherals etc, but the symptoms persisted.

To cut a long story short, after sending the computer back to HP under guarantee twice (and on one occasion a new power supply was fitted), the third and final resort was a new C-drive HDD, and that seemed to resolve the issue. I don't pretend to understand the technicalities, but the new HDD sorted the problem; I never got a satisfactory answer from HP exactly what was wrong with the HDD.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

It is not overheating so PSU I would say as do others

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks