We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows cannot find ms config

bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

trying to run Msconfig but keep getting message Windows cannot find ms config,not had this problem before also I cannot open search to try find the config file,also having problems opening chrome browser I have to right click > and then click browse internet, my pc only runs in safe mode I think I have a virus but have no idea were to begin to can any one help please , os xp pro.

• Tags:
  • pc
Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"was hoping to stop pc suit from opening in start up"

Are you saying your pc is infected with some Rogue security software? if so please can you give more details on it's name as then we can suggest which 'anti'program is best to use to get rid of it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Don't suppose a system restore in safe mode would fix it.

Maybe download update and run Malwarebytes in safe mode if you can or Hitman pro that only takes about 5 minutes to run.Free trial for a month with that one.

Not your hard drive on the way out is it.Has it been keeping good time and is the date and time correct.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Msconfig should be located in C:\windows\system32\dllcache

If you have a i386 folder its also in there and can be copied to the systen32\dll cache folder

CCleaners startup tool can be used for starting (enable) stopping disable or deleting startup programs it is easier than Msconfig.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, msconfig.exe is in both places on my XP. It's easier to find in C:\Windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe as there are not so many files in there.

So if you decide to replace it from the i386 folder, would you have to copy it twice and put it in each of the locations?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...